Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

09 Journey has poor heater. Both cores have been replaced,

09 Journey has poor...

09 Journey has poor heater. Both cores have been replaced, supposedly. Actuators working and calibrated. Little heat on drivers side and cool on passengers side, no rear heat. It gets better on the highway. The water pump is new. Heater hoses - One hot, the other usually cool. I had the work done at a Dodge dealer. Part of the sale agreement. I, myself am a Journeyman Mechanic. My diagnosis would be the heater cores or poor circulation. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?

Coolant level is good and has been bled. Temp gauge just under half and it warms up in the correct time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Journey yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I took it to Dodge because I just bought it. They are supposed to have changed both cores, checked actuators, calibrated, flushed, changed the y pipe that goes to the rear heater and water pump when they did the timing belt. It's a 3.5 which is an interference engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything

11/17/2017
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Have you got a thermometer to check the coolant temp at the rad cap area. tell me what it reads when at running temp.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. In the process of helping you I will use sources from all different places that I feel fit and to the point that will speed up my help for you. This may include links, videos, shop notes and procedures as well as my own personal experience of over 40 yrs in the trade.

I'm using it for my job at the moment. I will get back to you this afternoon. All I can say for now is it's probably 195. It's hot to touch. The inlet hose to the heater core is hot also. The return hose isn't even warm. The discharge air is barely warm.

If that checks out as you suspect then I would check the heater valve may be restricting the flow. If you can feel both sides of that and you experience the same 'HOT ON ONE SIDE AND COOL ON THE OTHER " then that is your problem.

Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Also we can respond in this chat back and forth many times. I may be offline when you respond but I will promptly reply when I return. Be sure to please take a quick moment and rate my assistance by clicking the stars above. Thank you for rating and for using Just Answer.

Journeys don't have a heater valve. All controlled by blend doors.

thanx for that info lets go back and check the temp when running then and get back with your readings.

I have limited info on this subject so I will opt out so another may help you better.

david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David. engine running and up to operating temp. is the upper and lower radiator hoses equally hot?

No. Top hose is hot, bottom barely warm. Temp at rad cap is 195. Inlet to heater is hot. Outlet is warm. Discharge air with heater on full is 110 on left, 80 on the right. Actuators and doors are moving but I have no idea what's happening inside the heater box. Rear heater is cold. Do you have the dodge coolant flow chart for this vehicle. If you do I would sure like a copy.

standby, let me see what i can find, but, if the bottom hose is only warm, you have either a bad water pump or a clogged radiator.

Isn't that the purpose of the rad to cool the coolant to the return? Water pump is new. Was the same with the old pump.

while the vehicle is moving yes. both hoses HAVE to be the exact same temperature

just as both heater hoses have to be the exact same temp at the firewall

Does this only apply to this vehicle? What about the fan that cools the rad just like going down the road. I'm not doubting you but I've been a journeyman for 44 years. This has been to a Dodge dealer 3 times. Do you think a clogged rad could be affecting the flow to the heater? It never ran warm at all even on hot days in the summer.

a radiator dissapates heat to keep it from overheating. but it still keeps the coolant at a constant temperature when fully warmed up. the temp of the coolant remains the same as it goes through the radiator

since you are having a difficult time accepting that, I will opt out and let another tech chime in. please do not reply back or it will take the question off of the board. good luck

Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Different expert here, sounds like you have air trapped in the system. Any coolant leaks? was the cooling system bled properly? Are the headgaskets leaking combustion into the cooling system?

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
It acts like air. I opened the bleeder and it was only fluid. I can only find one bleeder beside the thermostat. Do you know of any others? A scanner shows the temp between 193 and 204. It never loses coolant and I think the head gaskets are OK. I noticed the heat was a little better just before the thermostat opened. To me it acts like it doesn't have enough flow or an air lock. Just like a plugged core or poor pump. But both have been replaced. The outlet for the heater on the engine is not as hot as where the top rad hose is on the engine. Could there be a blockage in the stat housing?