Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a hemi jeer commander 06 5.7 L. I keep getting random

Customer Question
I have a hemi jeer...
I have a hemi jeer commander 06 5.7 L
JA: Are you fixing your Commander yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I keep getting random misfire. I have had the brain changed, spark plugs coils a sensors, still getting random misfires. Now the jeep is literally stopping/dieing while driving
JA: How many miles are on the car? When did you last change the plugs?
Customer: I've had it to 4 mechanics. They can't figure it out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: They did a fuel test and said it isn't the injectors or pump i also had new battery
Submitted: 28 days ago.Category: Dodge
11/17/2017
Dodge Mechanic: HDGENE, ASE Master Tech replied 28 days ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, you said random misfires and now it stalls. Does it start back up and idle after it stalls? What diagnostic trouble codes ares stored and how many miles are on the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
I put it in park. Restart and it goes. It also hesitates to go. Multiple random misfires. 139k

Ok does the engine pass a compression test, You said the fuel system is good. The spark plugs and coils are new so it leaks only a couple of possibilities. One, a wiring problem between the coils and the pcm. Two a weak valve spring. The Hemi engines had issues with the valve springs causing random misfires. The compression test will show if there is a base engine issue along with checking engine vacuum at an idle with a vacuum gauge. If there is a valve train issue the vacuum needle will flutter erratically. Last possible issue would be a problem with the rpm signal from the crank sensor or its trigger wheel causing it to random misfire. It will be a process of elimination to isolate the misfire cause.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Any answers

Yes, see above, I was typing it out.

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The crank sensor was changed
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Is this expensive to fix - value springs

It can be done in the vehicle without a major tear down. But it will still be somewhat costly. ABout 8 hours labor plus parts, springs gaskets. etc.

If you need more help please let me know. If I answered your questions please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating.

Do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Tech