Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a2014 dodge ram 1500 4by4. warranty expired oct 17.

Customer Question
went to turn on my...
i have a2014 dodge ram 1500 4by4. warranty expired oct 17. went to turn on my 4by4 last week and not working. brought it in to dodge dealer and had a wire spliced to fix problem at cost of over $900. tried to get it covered under warranty with nothing but, sorry we cant help you. have a bad feeling about my truck now since wires are corroding within 3 years and also since i notice other dodge trucks around with headlights out. is the wiring harness for these trucks all garbage? worried about future electrical issues. thinking i should sell it and never by another dodge product again. the mechanics at chrysler wont give me a strait answer about their harnesses
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/16/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 5 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

Most of the problems on the exterior lighting, including the headlamps is actually software issues in the TIPM, forward control module and BCM rather than wiring harness corrosion issues. There are alot of service bulletins out on this addressing it and the software updates needed if customer encounters exterior lighting issues.

Now, that is not to say that the 2014 Ram doesnt have wiring issues with water intrusion. I have seen quite a few with both transfer case and transmission wiring harness failures due to water intrusion at both splice packs and connectors due to poor manufacturing. I have also come across some with issues in the cab wiring harness due to water intrusion around the door sills and getting into splice packs along the floor board and underneath seating area.

These are compounded if you live in an area where roads are heavily salted in the winter, like it they are here in South Dakota. If you live in area that the roads are salted in the winter due to regular snow and ice, you will see more issues with the wiring harness corroding.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager