Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 dodge neon ES. In will start and run fine as…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 dodge...
I have a 2000 dodge neon ES. In will start and run fine as long as I am driving. But if I get stuck at a stop light for to long when I take off it have no power and it seems to back fire. If I let it sit for a while it will run good again until I sit at an idle for a few. It say P0171 to lean bank 1. Can someone help
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
If I let it sit turned off. It will run better until I need to sit for a few
11/16/2017
Dodge Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, if it's running better once cooled down it's possibly a fuel pump issue. I would check fuel pressure first. I'll post how below. Some other possible causes are

Fuel pump module defective
- TPS voltage change not smooth
- TPS Voltage < 0.92 volts
- Fuel inlet strainer plugged
- ECT sensor defective (out of calibration)
- MAP sensor defective (out of calibration)
- Engine mechanical problem
- Fuel filter/pressure regulator defective (high)
- Fuel filter/pressure regulator defective (low)
- Fuel pump capacity (volume) out of specs

Below is also the complete troubleshooting guide. You'll need a scan tool with live data.

The car sat for about a year. I replaced the fuel pump and coil pack and it runs fine until I sit at an ideal in gear the thats when it looses power and back fires.

OK , with that being new the things you need to check are TPS voltage ECT voltage and O2 voltage. More than likely the TPS has a dead spot.

Ok I'll give it a shot. Will that have anything to do with the p0171 code. Thank you. Will keep you updated

Yes, it's showing lean and what the result is causing too much fuel at idle.

Ok. I will run those tests. Thanks

You're welcome

Not sure if I can still ask anymore questions but, I changed the tps & ect but still have the same problem. We can drive for about 15 minutes before it loses power. But if I pull over and wait about 10 or 15 SECONDS and start up it will run fine again for 10 or 15 minutes. Any ideas. I really am stumped

You can still ask questions. At this point without being there to test things I am out of ideas. I will open this up to other experts as someone else may have some thoughts.

I have another computer but I'm not sure if I should try it.
Dodge Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech of over 40 years experience here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

Would you be interested in my opinion and do so basic test that are easy to do?

sir. I have a decent knowledge of cars. So I am up to whatever you can help me with. Thank you

Great! I will give you a couple of things to try and eliminate any doubt of any vacumm leaks that can cause this code and give you those drive-ability issues. Are you ready/

If you tell me what to try and first thing in the morning I will try what ever you

ok as this code is indicating a lean mixture and can be confused that it is actually rich and the Oxy sensor is over compensating the reading, so what we are going to do first is to eliminate any doubt there is a vacuum leak. when idling spray some carb cleaner around the intake gasket area and watch your tach , if it fluctuates you have a gasket problem that needs to be replaced. Check the PCV valve and if it has never been replaced do so. Also find the EGR valve and the vacuum hose that goes to it, remove that hose and block it off , usually a golf tee works well for that. Then drive like that for a bit to see if the symptoms still persist. If it does not then you have EGR problems.

Do these tests tomorrow and leave your notes as I will be back on latter tomorrow to see what you have.

Ok will do thanks

I will check your notes tomorrow evening and take it from there. G/N

Ok thank you g/n

just send findings on here so we can proceed.

I tried what you said. There is no vacuum leak at all. I changed the PCV valve and plunged off EGR valve, but still looses power after 10 or 15 minutes the if I shut it off for just a few seconds it will run fine for about 10 or 15 minutes and the do it again

this to me needs more hands on so I will opt out so I will opt out so another may supply a different point of view and help you better. I wish you good luck.

Dodge Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

What is the voltage reading of the upstream oxygen sensor?

Oxygen sensor and fuel pump are both a common problem with this vehicle, since fuel pump has been replaced already, I would like to know more about the oxygen sensor

I can check it tomorrow & let you know

Ok, see you tomorrow :).

Dodge Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago

Have you got any updates?

I'm sorry I've been really sick the last few days. I will look at it this tonight

Not a problem, just checking for any updates, just let me know when you can.