Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge Ram 3500 6.9 Cummins acts like weak battery when

Customer Question
Dodge Ram 3500 6.9...

Dodge Ram 3500 6.9 Cummins acts like weak battery when cold--hard to crank. Batteries are new. As soon as it starts runs and restarts normal.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

Batteries only 6 months old.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Ram?

2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I havent tried anything--I dont do repairs myself

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/15/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 8 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Step one is to have the batteries tested while cold. Since you do not do repairs yourself. You can park your truck at your local parts store overnight, then meet them there in the morning to test the batteries cold. First off you want to see if the batteries are way below 12.6 volts. If hey are then there is a parasitic draw issue. If the voltage is good then have them load tested individually for low amps. If that too passes. Then your slow crank concern can be a few things.

It is a diesel, it is hard to crank a diesel cold, incorrect oil viscosity for the winter can be to blame.

Now if its not a slow crank concern but a long crank concern. A block heater, different oil, glow plug test, fuel additives for gel. These will help. Below 50 F my diesel cranks slow too, if I run the block heater it cranks faster and starts sooner. Around the 30 mark I hit the glow plugs twice before cranking. Below 30 if I do not use a block heater or a trickle charger on the batteries to keep them at max, there is a good chance mone will not start. In my area we can have 80 one day and 25 the next I do not have the option to run a different oil like 5W-40 instead of 15W-40

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Not the answer I was expecting

What were you expecting and then we can discuss that. You wrote I do not do repairs so I had to tailor my response different than most.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris