Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

The vehicle anti-theft security system is locked up on my

Customer Question
2002 ram 1500. I thought...
The vehicle anti-theft security system is locked up on my 2002 ram 1500. I thought it was just the battery and the truck wouldn't start, but we jumped it and it now runs but the instrument cluster, power locks, and other things like blinkers and anything on the steering wheel doesn't work. I do not know how to disarm the system. The key fob doesn't work at all
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: No
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried unlocking the doors manually with the key to see if it would disarm the system but to no avail. The red light was on the dash but it just randomly went off, but all security measures seem to still be in place. Checked fuses but all seem to be fine
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 27 days ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked for codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I don't have the tool to check codes, but a local o'reillys does it for free. I am just trying to disarm the vtss. I could talk on the phone

Sounds good.

You can request a phone call on your end and I will call you right away.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I did not realize it would cost extra, I am fine with doing this here.

Ok, no problem.

We can continue here

Does the TPS have a 5 volt reference with the key on?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
How would I determine that? I do not have a voltmeter to check. I do know that I have had issues with the TPS as I have replaced it several times within the last year.

You will need to get a voltmeter to check this.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, so the throttle position sensor can be the cause of this? To be clear, the battery died and when it was jumpstarted then the vtss would not disarm. I can get someone with a voltmeter to check it as soon as possible.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Could the wiring to the TPS be faulty if isn't reading 5v on the reference or would it be the TPS itself?

It could be either one.. thats why it should be checked.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I will visit o'reillys sometime today and have them check for codes. Also, I bought my TPS from there and have had several replacements from them so I can swap the TPS for a replacement one again to see if it fixes the problem.

I just want you to check for 5 volts to the TPS with the key on. Thats it.

Let me know.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Ok, will do.

Sounds good.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I was going to leave to go have it tested but the battery seems to have died again and the security light on the dash is solid red again. I think this may just come down to a bad battery but I will try to have the TPS and battery tested asap. The truck was running just yesterday after charging the battery.

Does the engine crank over and not start or does it not crank over at all?

If it does not crank over, does it crank over with a jump?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
The engine does not try to crank over at all. Turning the key simply does nothing at all. It was doing this yesterday and we put a battery charger on it and it started after only 5 minutes and would run but no guage cluster, power locks, etc. I am willing to bet that it would crank with a jump again. The truck is my only source of transportation right now so it may be a day or two before I can get someone to help me get it tested.

Thank you for that information.

We need to start by getting it cranking first. If it is just a battery issue or a bad connection at the battery, it should jump when starting it.

Please try this and let me know! Also, if you would like to speak on the phone, I can at anytime.

Jerry, Master Mechanic