Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 l engine. The check

gauges light comes on and...
I have a 2004 dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 l engine. The check gauges light comes on and the battery gauge goes to zero. I have had it checked and the battery is new and the autozone test says alternator is charging as it should at rest and under load. Any other suggestions, it just started happening with the change in temperature last week.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No it is brand new
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am just in the diagnosis stage. The autozone load test came back all normal.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

This may be a problem with the instrument cluster too. The computer system needs to be scanned and the cluster needs to be tested with the scan tool in bidirectional mode. Auto Zone doesn't do this type of diagnostics, but regardless, it still needs to be done to find this problem.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there a battery temperature sensor for this vehicle and where might it be?

I don't show one, but if there was, it would be on the side or under the battery.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you for your time

Yep, thank you too.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor