Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2011 Dodge Charger 105000 miles the Malfunction

Customer Question
I have 2011 Dodge...

I have 2011 Dodge Charger 105000 miles the Malfunction indicator light is on. I am up to date will all maintenance

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?

IDK

Mechanic's Assistant: Not a problem. You can work with the Dodge Mechanic to figure that out. Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

Came on on way to work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. .. car has run excellent

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/13/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Mechanic replied 5 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

Is the car still running fine? Even though the light is on?

Ok

Please give me a moment to type my reply.

There are several reasons for the light to come on. Usually if the car is still running fine with the light on it's a problem with the evap emissions system. Loose gas cap is a good place to start as a lot of times something that simple will cause the light. If you find the cap is loose, tighten it. The light will still stay on for a bit because the computer has to run a self test. If the cap is fine, then you will need to have the codes checked. With over 500 reasons for the light to be on, it gives us a starting point. Most of the parts stores will check these for free these days. If you want to get the code and post it here with me, I can provide a much more detailed answer. Just know, that if the car is running normally even with the light on, it's safe to drive it. You won't cause any more damage or have it stall out and leave you stranded.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Gas cap is attached to the door. Not a screw on cap. Is there any way I can get it to display the code, without taking to automotive store or dealer?

Give this a try and let me know.

insert key into ignition

turn to ACC

then turn the key to ON (don't actually start the car)

now do that 2 more times in rapid succession

ACC, ON, ACC, ON, ACC, ON

and the code will appear where your mileage does

no that did not work

I have no other information on getting the codes out.

It is likely an evap emissions code, especially because you have the capless fuel fill.

Sorry, I thought that would work. Used to be able to go from off to on 5 times to get it, so you could try that. Otherwise you are going to need a code reader that can communicate with the PCM

if evap emission, will I need to replace the entire gas door, or the the cap

Well, the evap system has a bunch of parts. This is why we need to get the code. I believe just the cap can be replaced, but without a code it's difficult to know where to begin looking for the problem. Could get expensive just replacing parts on the car.

Were you able to have the codes read?

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic