Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with a 2.5 L V6.

Customer Question
I have a 1997...

I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring Convertible with a 2.5 L V6. I have removed the power steering pump and transferred the pulley to a new reman pump. My problem is reinstalling the new pump. When I removed the old pump I had to remove the attached mount bracket to remove the pump. Now I can't get the pump back in position. I have positioned the pump where it is ready to install the pump mount bracket, however, I am unable to slip the two mounting bolts into position by using the holes in the pulley. The pump with the bracket attached will not go between the frame the frame and motor.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

The seal was leaking fluid. That is why I replaced it. The pump was not making any noise. It was working fine except for the leak.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sebring yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I have removed the pump by removing the two pump mounting bolts. I did this by using a socked and going through the holes on the pulley. I am having trouble getting the new pump along with the bracket back in position between the frame and the engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The mounting bracket on the engine is blocking the install.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/12/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

I believe you have to bolt the power steering pump to the mounting bracket first, then install the pulley.

Did you do that?

Check it out for yourself, here are the Power Steering Pump Mounting Bracket Replacement instructions.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

You have to install the pulley outside of the car. The mounting bracket is easily mounted to the pump by going through the holes in the pulley. The problem is getting the whole assembly back into position between the frame and engine. The mounting bracket hangs up on the engine mounting bracket. Several hours of trying to jockey the pump and bracket have produced no results. There must be a trick to getting all of this back in place. There is no room to install the pulley after the pump and bracket are in place.

I will opt out cause yo be honest I cannot recall the last time I did one of these.

Dodge Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago
nelson freitas

Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer, my name Nelson and I have been an Automotive Technician for over 12 years, and I am currently working at a Toyota dealership.

I was able to find you these instructions(attached to this message) It seems like they suggest mounting the brakcet first then bolting the pump to the bracket.

Let me know if you need any further assistance,

Nelson

OK, can someone else pick this up?
Dodge Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago

Im sorry what do you mean by picking this up? would you like me to opt out of this question?

Mike S. opted out because of lack of recent experience. I was hoping someone else would have more experience and be able to provide an answer.
Dodge Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago

If you would like me to opt out I will but I can ensure you that I have had plenty of experience working on all makes and models for over 10 years working in small shops, and have only recently moved to the dealership that I work at (for the past 2 years).

But if you would like someone else I have no problem moving your question on.

Don't opt out. An answer to my question would be good.
Dodge Mechanic: nelson freitas,
 replied 8 months ago

ok, and sorry for the late reply.

I would try to loosen the bolts on the bracket and pump. it may allow you a little more room to squeeze the pump into place.

Also when bleeding the power steering system I have found it useful to remove the fuel pump relay to prevent the engine from starting. this will allow the engine to crank over at 2-300 rpm and cause the fluid to aerate less

Nelson, as it turns out you have to first insert the bracket and then insert the pump. The bracket and pump have to be mated together after they are both in the space between the engine and frame. It is a tedious job but time and a lot of patience gets the job done. It also pays to have nimble fingers.