Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I started a request about about put truck steering wheel and…

Customer Question
This is Peggy smith...

This is Peggy smith I started a request about about put truck steering wheel and got as far as entering my credit card then went out of service! Do I need to start over?

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the car been driving lately?

We have a 2003 dodge 2500 and had recent work on gear box and wheels rotated and balanced now the steering wheel is cocked it this a safety issue? So far have driven over 800 miles pulling a 5th wheel so appreciate answer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No and haven’t donee anything so far

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need to know if this is a safety issue

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/12/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Yes, it could be because the steering wheel may turn to the right all the way but not all the way to the left or visa versa.

Whomever installed the gear box, did not have the front wheels pointed straight ahead and thus the gearbox got installed wrong. Just drop the pitman arm from the gear box, point the front wheels straight forward, then raise the pitman arm back up to the gearbox and install it again.

It is Sunday and at last stop Wells NV no mechanic we have been driving good so far next stop is Ely NV will see if they have a mechanic on duty, otherwise will wait until we get to where we’re going ! Do you have a comment to that choice of action?

You should be ok, just keep in mind that when doing a sharp turn, you may not be able to turn as much. You should pull over somewhere like in a mall parking lot and see what I mean. Drive straight, going real slow like 3 mph, turn the steering wheel all the way right, count how many times you can turn the steering wheel until it stops, then turn back to center again, go straight again, now turn all the way left as far as it will go, and count again and see if I am not correct, one side turns more than the other.

Just don't attempt no sharp turns at high speed.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician