Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just wondering how to diagnose a fuel pump problem in my…

Customer Question
Just wondering how to...

Just wondering how to diagnose a fuel pump problem in my 2007 Ram 1500. It is stalling when cold, check engine light comes on intermittently. Also, the gas cap light appears.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Both, I reset it by turning the battery off and it stays off for a couple of days, What does blinking mean?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I tried taking it to The Ram dealership in Prince Rupert BC, Absolutely useless, they can't fix it, lots of money paid to them, less than 200,000 km's on truck, they suggested I buy a new one, so I guess I am fixing it myself!

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, it is a propane/gas hybrid, I only use the gas system, dealership said the air intake system buggered, looks fine to me, but they left it all undone for me to put back together. Apparently you can't get the proper error code from check engine light, error codes turned off

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/11/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 8 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Checking the fuel pump operation consists of running a fuel pressure test, and a fuel pressure bleed down test.

You need a fuel pressure test kit to be able to run these tests.

Will you be able to rent or purchase a fuel pressure test kit so we can run a fuel system test??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert