Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

After many months of the truck being hard to shift out of…

Customer Question
After many months of...

After many months of the truck being hard to shift out of park the shift linkage broke inside the steering column.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

The truck is a 2006 with the Cummins 5.9, I had it towed to my shop and after it sat awhile there was a large puddle of fluid under the truck.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '06 Dodge?

Big Horn SLT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

We just started to get into it. The shift linkage will have to be replaced and we are going to drop the valve body

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/10/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

How may I be of assistance?

Do you know why the tranny was hard to shift out if park? No issues with other gears or going back into park, just when shifting out of park.

If only shifting out of park, I would assume you have had a problem with the "brake transmission shift interlock" solenoid.

I would have the trouble codes retrieved to see if any refer to that, then if so, give the trouble code to me and I'll see if I can provide you with a trouble shooting procedure.