Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2003 Ram 1500 sits for periods so the battery ran dead. I…

Customer Question
My 2003 Ram 1500...

My 2003 Ram 1500 sits for long periods so the battery ran dead. I put the trickle charge on the battery until the next day. When I tried to start it, a small red light began flashing on the panel but no start, no lights, nothing electrical. I checked the fuses but they all looked good.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

The charger that I used showed a full charge on the battery. I have used that charger before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far I have only checked the fuses. I'm not that good with electrical systems. We live on a farm so I would need to get a tow truck to take it to a garage. Rather not do that.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/10/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** master tech here to help. I cannot see or hear your vehicle so I rely on your patience and input to my questions so I can help you better.I have read your notes and have a question before we proceed.

How old is the battery and have you checked it with a load tester as just checking voltage does only one small part. I can tell you how to give you a better idea what is happening with some easy basic checks.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I'm sure you heard of what ampere ratting a battery is? This is referring to the health or strength od the battery in it'a ability to hold a good charge under a normal load such as starting and accessories being used. Also we need to make sure the charging system is functioning proper as well,

someone suggested that it might be a security shut-off since the flashing red light is the antitheft indicator. Any chance that might be true?

if you cannot get to a shop to do these tests properly I will walk you through some good ole country ways to check them as I lived on a beef farm most of my life , so I know what it's all about and will do my best to help you.

Not convenient to do it tonight. I'll check the battery tomorrow. Thanks for your time.

low voltage will trigger any alarms or anti theft systems so lets make sure the basics are ok first.

I will look for your reply tomorrow , What you can do tomorrow is disable to start , hook up your volt meter to the battery and crank for about 15 seconds and watch the meter and record the voltage drop.