Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2006 dodge 3500 will not crank over. Acts like the

Customer Question
My 2006 dodge 3500...

My 2006 dodge 3500 will not crank over. Acts like the batteries were dead. I have charged the batteries they both read good at NAPA. No idea why this isn't starting.

Mechanic's Assistant: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?

Have I ever changed the battery? This truck has gone through 3 sets of batteries in 3 years

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. This truck seems to go through batteries fast. Alternator has been replaced twice in the 4 years I've owned it. Seems to have undiagnosed electrical issues.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/7/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 9 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Do you own a volt meter?

Is there battery voltage 12.6 volts at the large wire on the starter?

Which engine and transmission do you have?

cummins 5.9 6speed
Batteries are out of the truck. Just took them to have them checked at NAPA

Once they are back in and connected we can continue the testing if you have a volt meter.

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

The truck isn’t running but that isn’t your fault. Starter checked good. New batteries installed no change.

So will it now crank with the key?

With the key on and the starter bypassed to make it crank, will it start?