Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its Sparking and starting without the key in the ignition…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Its Sparking...

Second opinion] Its Sparking and starting without the key in the ignition when the negative battery cable is to the negative battery post and the positive cable is connected to the positive battery post

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes The Battery is fully Charged

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

It is a 1974 Dodge B 100 Van

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your D100 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Its A Dodge B 100 Van Ive replaced the ignition

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It sounds like it was hot wired before

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/7/2017
Dodge Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 9 months ago
mike switzer

the starter immediately engages when you connect the battery?

it sparks and turn over when you connect the the battery without the key in the ignition
Dodge Mechanic: mike switzer,
 replied 9 months ago

sorry for the delay it has been a hectic week eat work. then you either have one of two things a bad starter or a bad ignition switch. on the starter if you unplug the small signal wire and connect the battery does it still try to turn over? if not then the issue is the ignition switch if it does then the issue is the starter.,