Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It has an intermitent starting issue. Acts like the fuel…

Customer Question
Second opinion] it has an...
Second opinion] it has an intermitent starting issueJA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?Customer: acts like the fuel pump replaced that afew months ago. yes everything else worksJA: What is the make/model/year of your car?Customer: 2005 caravan 3.3 automaticJA: Are you fixing your Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?Customer: replaced fuel pump ran fine for a few months, shut off in driveway wouldn't restart waited a couple of days and it started, drove it 7 miles to sisters shut it off turned it on and offJA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?Customer: many times then it wouldn't start.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
11/7/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 9 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

I have seen this before on these vans.

There are 3 common causes for this. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failing PCM (engine computer). Either one can act up when the engine warms up. Do this: try to get yourCaravan to an auto parts store like AutoZone and ask them to connect their scan tool to your vehicle and check for any trouble codes. If there is a code for "loss of crank sensor signal or cam shaft sensor signal" then have the appropriate sensor replaced. If there are no codes at all, then suspect a failing PCM and have it replaced. Most auto parts stores will connect their scan tool for no charge to you.

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris