Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I've tried everything to take my fan clutch off. Penetrating…

Customer Question
I've tried everything to...

I've tried everything to take my fan clutch off. Penetrating oils, torch (brief), hammering down the nut, and using all manner of ways to tie down the pulley. Nothing worked. Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

The viscous fan clutch, not the transmission. I have an automatic.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

Dakota/2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm rebuilding the engine. I just wanted to remove the fan clutch so I can get a breaker bar to rotate the crankshaft. Because I am reinstalling the rocker arms on one head.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I would also like to know where I can find the timing marks without having to remove the timing chain cover.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dodge
I took the water pump off so I guess that solves it, but if I wanted to remove the fan clutch still, how would I take advantage of the fact that the water pump is now off? And also, I would also like to know where I can find the timing marks without having to remove the timing chain cover.
10/29/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

do you have the air hammer clutch fan tool kit?

No. Even if I did I don't think it would matter because my pulley has no bolts (just 4 empty holes) in it to get one of those fancy tools around. It is confusing because it seems designed this way yet my shop manual makes no mention of this possibility!

what engine is in that ?

3.9L V6

yeah its just one big nut that screws on the water pump right?

Correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU_cpAoNvdA

heres a video of how to use the tool

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lisle-Corporation-2-Driving-Wrench-43420/34754682?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1413&adid=22222222227022941314&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52588708751&wl4=aud-273067695102:pla-84469356911&wl5=9010329&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=113139785&wl11=online&wl12=34754682&wl13=&veh=sem

heres the tool pretty cheap, good addition to the tool kit

Ok but in that video that example the pulleys all still have the tensioned belt on. All of that is gone for me. So there's nothing to keep the pulley from turning.

the force of the impact will remove it

just hold onto the fan and it will work

I am skeptical but I will try. Brb.

as far as the timing marks you can line up the dampener on the timing cover and that will be your marks just be sure your on compression stroke on #1

Do i need to get underneath the truck to see that?
As to holding on to the fan, that won't work because it spins kinda freely from the nut.

that will work its a clutch system, do you not believe me?

I can open this back up for the other techs to help if you think im no help

I am quite certain that the shaft the nut is rusted on to is the shaft that goes through the water pump. So, I have to hold the water pump pulley still in order to turn my wrench on the nut. I tried many circus like tricks to get the pulley to stay put so I could wrench on the not and none of them work. Unless there's something about a clutch system that I don't understand, all I'm telling you is that the fan spins freely from the nut, so I don't understand how that is going to generate the force required to unfreeze the nut.

so it looks like you need to buy a water pump and fan clutch

Because there's no way to get the nut off? I'd really like to save the water pump there's nothing wrong with it. =(

can try cutting a a slit in each side of the nut but before it penetrates the threads and use the impact tool, but the heat mat damage the pump seal,

Oh, that sounds like it could maybe work. Can you describe more accurately and visually what these cuts are suppose to look like and in what orientations? Also, I only have an impact drill, I don't have one of those impact chislers if that's what you're referring to.

you would want to make a 45 degree cut with a cut off wheel opposite of each other on the nut, and I thought you has that tool I sent the link too?

No. I never indicated I had any tool you linked to or asked about.

weird you said you were skeptical and will go try, which made me think you had all the tools, regardless you will need the tools to get that off

I did go try, but the only thing I tried was to very if the nut was locked to the fan. It's not. It's only locked the water pump shaft. Sorry for being confusing. I have an angle grinder that I think can use to etch lines into the nut, but not impact chisler.
Dodge Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

You might find it is a LH thread for the fan clutch hub nut.

Gary

I only ever tried turning it LH

Ok, just checking you were, since I saw no mention of this so far.

I have only ever had one where I couldn't get the thread undone.

This customers car had a failed waterpump.

So the whole lot came off, and then destroy the pump to save the clutch hub.

Can you not put the belt back on to offer more resistance?

Gary

I can't. The alternator and tensioner are off.

What tools are you using to loosen the hub nut?

Gary

Dodge Mechanic: xsvector, Auto Mechanic replied 3 months ago
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic

they make a adapter for a air chisel to break it loose if you have a compressor and a air chisel

I was using a 12" long adjustable spanner for the nut, with a metal tube to make a breaker bar. Tried various hammers. I have a mapp torch that I very briefly used on the nut. Also tried an assortment of penetrating oils. For holding the water pump pulley stationary when it was still on the vehicle I tried an embarrassing amount of creative schemes including tow straps tied to a tent stake, and wire hangers. Even though the water pump pulley has those 4 holes in it, there are no bolts. And the manual makes no mention of this possibility which is frustrating because none of the traditional tools would work since there are no bolt heads. I'm hoping now that I've taken the water pump off I can take advantage of that somehow, but I don't know how to take off this impeller, if that is indeed what I needed to do.When you say it is a LH thread, that means that facing the back of the vehicle I should be turning it to my left to loosen, correct? That's what I've been doing since it is what I saw in YouTube videos of the same model truck. Because facing from back to front, that would be the same as turning it right handed to loosen, making it the LH type thread, correct?

is this a 3.9?

according to the manual its right hand thread not sure where every one got the LH from

Now that the water pump is off, any suggestions on how to hold the water pump pulley/shaft still while I torque the nut (the other way, this time)?

thats difficult a strap wrench on the pulley?

Can you recommend a good strap wrench?

Irwin a maker of vise grips has few good designs .

xsvector
xsvector
xsvector, Auto Mechanic