Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

On my 2010 Ram 2500 diesel truck my heater still does not…

On my 2010 Ram 2500...
On my 2010 Ram 2500 diesel truck my heater still does not work as it is suppose to work. It heats if I have it on recirculating cab air but if I have it on defrost it blows cold or slightly warm and also it smells like the air is coming through the A/C condenser. Is the a door or something that is not working. And where would I start taking things apart?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/28/2017
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

If you warm the engine up and with it running and go out under the hood and place your hands on both heater hoses at the firewall , are they both getting nice and hot?

Quite hot. I have tried draining the coolant and refilling using a vacuum device.

Okay if both hoses are to hot to hold then the problem is not the coolant level or flow through the heater core. If the problem is with the blend door actuator or one of the mode doors the system should detect it and set a B code. Are you able to scan the system and see if there are any B codes setting?

I have a cheap scanner I could try. But if it is an air lock would it not blow cold at all settings?

If it was an air lock then both heater hoses at the heater core would not be both hot. If they are as you have stated then you can rule air out. That being said a code reader will not pull the B codes, you are going to need a full scan tool to retrieve them .

Okay. Then I will need to take it to the dealership to scan.

Unfortunately if you do not have access to a full scan tool that that is an option, that being said any full service automotive shop can do this as well as they also have the scanner needed to retrieve all codes. I suspect you may have a bad blend door actuator or a mode door actuator but to know for sure a code scan would need to be done first to avoid guessing and replacing unneeded parts.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Ok thanks for the info. Is very helpful.
Can you send me a step-by-step breakdown of how to take that blend door thing apart

Are you looking for the blend door actuator replacement steps?

Okay replacing it will require removing the complete instrument panel so that why its important to have the scan done to be sure its at fault. See the steps in the links below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wpllhd5mfvbdsnu/Blend%20door%20Nov%201.pdf?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqhdngtpwqo5ij2/Instrument%20panel%20Nov%201.pdf?dl=0