Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It sat for 3 months and now i replaced the battery and it…

It sat for 3...

It sat for 3 months and now i replaced the battery and it will not start... it ran when i stopped driving it

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Every thing there is good... new battery and connections are clean and tight

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2006 dodge charger RT

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Charger yourself? What have you tried so far?

New battery and checked to make sure the starting pin in the ignition is not broken

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Every thing electrical is turning on just won't crank the motor

10/28/2017
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** an anti theft light illuminated on the dash, when you try to start it?

no
i stopped driving it because the shift lock broke and i could not get it out of park.. i replaced that and now it will not crank is it possible it does not recognize it is in park and will not start?

It is possible, can you put it in neutral and see if it cranks?

i did and it does not.. i also just made sure the shift cable is in properly and it is
it also would not start before replacing the shift lock but i assumed the battery was just really dead from sitting. i tried to jump before working on it and it would not start so i replaced the battery after the shift was fixed

ok, do you have a test light or a volt meter?

i have a test light

ok, first thing we need to check, is if it has power to the small wire on the starter, when cranking the key to start?

seems good there
also after i turn the key and the starter does not work, i release the key and i hear a click come from the starter

then you most likely have a bad starter, you need to actually check for power on the sn=mall wire at the starter, when cranking, can you do this?

there is power to the starter

ok, then you have a bad starter, the large wire comes straight from the battery, and the small wire comes from the ignition switch, if you have power at the small wire when cranking, and it does not turn over, then its a bad starter, nothing else,Tim

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH