Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins. Driving up a today and

2003 Dodge Ram 2500...

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins. Driving up a hill today and transmission did not shift....raised to 3000 rpm. I pulled over and placed in park. Tried shifting into drive ...and won't shift. Also does not shift into Reverse, 1, or 2. Towed home in neutral and running. Help please!

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

2003. Transmission fluid was in radiator . Drained both. Replaced fluids.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Ram 2500. I now have a mechanic looking at it. The transmission cooler has been bypassed because of the leak into radiator

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that covers the issues

Answered in 1 hour by:
10/27/2017
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Based on what you have told me, it sounds like the transmission's hydraulic line pressure has been lost. This may be caused by a failed front pump assembly. The fluid leaking into the cooling system may have caused the pump to loose prime and eventually fail.

Thank you! Any ideas why my transmission won’t shift?

You are welcome. Based on what you have told me, it sounds like the transmission's hydraulic line pressure has been lost. This may be caused by a failed front pump assembly. The fluid leaking into the cooling system may have caused the pump to loose prime and eventually fail.

Ask the mechanic to check the line pressure. Ask him to also check the filter in the pan.

I am pretty sure this is a hydraulic problem though.

Chris

If you would like me to send some information on checking the pressure, let me know and I will get it to you.

Chris

Ok I will do that! I aso ordered a new transmission cooler. Should I replace ? Or wait until he checks the line pressure?Yes I would like that information!

Do replace the cooler. It must have failed and no matter what the mechanic finds, the cooler will still need to be replaced. Give me a few minutes to get the info to you, and then you can print it out and show it to your mechanic. Be back asap.

Chris

Ok . No problem take your time.Jenny

Thank you Jenny. Be right back

Chris

Ok, Jenny I have put together the information into that link below. It will open up in a Word document when you click on it.

I hope this helps!

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Wow this is great information! Hopefully this fixes the problem. I just bought this truck ��

I hope so too. FYI, I own a 2003 Ram Cummins***** It has 128,000 miles on it (bought it new) and it has been by far the best truck I have ever owned. You take care of it and it will do you good!

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful Jenny, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you! Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Thank you Jenny!

Chris