Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

2003 dodge ram 2500 RWD, replacing the old wheeling bearing…

2003 dodge ram 2500...

2003 dodge ram 2500 RWD, replacing the old wheeling bearing hub, all bolts are out. Hub won't come out, have tried every trick on the net. How do I get that out?

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

190,000 miles but good for the most part, city driving mostly

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

Prying, hammering, air chisel, using the power steering to free it (broke two 1/2" socket extensions), penetrating oil.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't think of anything right now

10/21/2017
Dan, ASE Certified Technician

Get a couple longer bolts that will thread into the hub assembly. Use a hammer bit and a powerful air hammer to hit the head of the bolt. Remove the wheel speed sensor. You may need to use a torch to heat the knuckle, try not to heat the bearing that you are trying to free. I have also used a tool called a hub shocker. Have someone using the air hammer on the bolts while the other person hits the hub shocker with a sledge hammer. This usually works, even on the toughest wheel bearings that are seized to the steering knuckle. Here is a link to the tool I am referring to. http://amzn.to/2zE6ko5

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can.

Please Rate 5 stars and it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

That's about the best I've seen, considering I've tried just about everything on the "net". I need it quick, therefore, I need to adapt the buster to something more workable that may be already in my tool box. Any ideas?

I would try hitting the hub on top and bottom with a sledge hammer while another person uses an air hammer, after heating the knuckle as hot as you can get it. Oxygen acetylene torch is best and will produce the most heat. Map and propane torches do not get hot enough.

I've some thoughts, will this question still be open tomorrow? Without further charges I might inquire?

Yes it will be open. You can rate now, rating does not close out your question. I will be around this weekend. I will be online on and off. I am working on a project in the garage of my own.

Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Thanks Dan, btw if you can find a part number for that knuckle, it would be greatly appreciated. Seems I only run into those for the 4x4s. Or a link to my 2003 dodge ram, 2500 RWD, diesel. I found it once and have not been able to find it again. Reason is there was more to be found once the rotor came off, bearings on top and below. Don't know why they didn't catch it when I had the new tires put on. Seems that would have been a natural for them to suggest it. Anyways, you've given me a new avenue and that is much appreciated. Kudos,
Hey Dan, I couldn't get an overnight on the Hub Shocker so I went with a spare receiver hitch. Your idea got me thinking (took awhile) but the hitch worked. Not easy, had to rotate the hitch for upper and lower strikes with a 20lb sledge. Thanks again!!!
Dan, ASE Certified Technician