Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

My 2012 caravan has a malfunction code of P0456. What needs…

Hi! My 2012...

Hi! My 2012 caravan has a malfunction code of P0456. What needs to be done to clear the light?

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Dodge Caravan. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

This is my problem at this time, Just want to be smart when I call my mechanic.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/20/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

ok

Thanks for holding!
Unfortunately, the P0456 is a very general code that states there is a small leak somewhere in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. So, best place to start here is by checking the fuel cap. Check the underside of the fuel cap for any cracks or signs of defects that may keep the cap from sealing correctly. If there are any doubts about the inspection of the cap, replace it. Keep in mind, you will need a cap that meets OE Specs. Those "universal" or "locking" fuel caps sold at after market parts stores do not meet OE specs, and will not seal the system correctly. If you are certain the cap is good, then the next course of action is to have the EVAP System "smoked". This is where a machine forces smoke through the system and any leaks can then be more easily found and repaired. If the smoke test proves no leaks, then individual EVAP items, like the Purge Solenoid and EVAP monitor switch will need to be tested and inspected. Sorry I could not be more specific here, but like I say, this is simply a general code stating there is a leak. It does not point specifically to one item. Hope that sheds a little light on the subject anyway! If you have any questions, please ask! Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

no..thanks

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great weekend!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -