Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

1996 neon runs fine to the store but when I go back out to

Customer Question
leave it won't start fuel...
1996 neon runs fine to the store but when I go back out to leave it won't start fuel pump sounds like tank is empty gauge reads half added 6 gallons then cycle the ignition about 5 times and could here change in sounds as it picked up fuel and pressurized started right up immediately drove 1 mile to gas station to fill up it only took 1.5 gallons and was full to cap this is second time its ran out of fuel with fuel in the tank only acts up when trying to start runs fine when running never stalled or sputtered when key is turned on only hear pump for about 2 seconds each time
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: New to me car I have not
JA: Are you fixing your Neon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: New to me car I have not
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes I will try to fix first time it did this I checked and found spark noticed fuel pump was loud as if not under fuel like it was empty added fuel and it started
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
10/19/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 month ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello
This is most likely the fuel pump itself. It is cavitating at times and not building pressure. When this happens, it makes that louder noise you hear. Have the fuel pump replaced. I am 99 % sure that this will fix the problem.Chris
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Really, I kinda thought so but couldn't understand how it only works when over half a tank I guess I don't understand cavitation
I have seen this before. Not common, but can happen when the pump starts to fail. Be sure to replace the complete pump module assembly which inludes the fuel level sending unit.
I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!Chris
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I will change this weekend
Good plan. Based on the description of the problem, that should take care of it.Chris
I hope that my information was helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!Chris
Good morning! I hope my information/answer was helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A. If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you! Chris
Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman