Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a problem with my rear brakes sticking. I've replaced

Hi,I have a problem with...
Hi,I have a problem with my rear brakes sticking. I've replaced rotors,pads,calipers,brake hoses and master cylinder and I can't figure it out.
10/18/2017
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician
Hi my name is***** your rear brakes stick if you raise both rear wheels and put in neutral and try to turn one or both wheels?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I've only tried 1 wheel at a time

Did you find that one or both rear wheels cannot be turned?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Jaybird61 do you want an additional $26.00 on top of the $38.00 I sent through paypal for phone call?

I do not see any of those charges to you as I am just the expert here to help you out. If you select phone call then system will connect us so we can discuss vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
NO, I was wondering if I go back and put my car up would I be able to turn both wheels at the same time?
Not unless in neutral and not a four wheel all wheel drive vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was wondering after I did that and they both spin what could be the problem?
If they both spin then brakes are not locked. When do you notice that they are locking up?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
pretty much of the time after pushing the pedal
With tires raised press brake and let off and see if brakes released?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, after I do that can I get back to you in about 15 minutes?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, Jaybird I had jacked the car up and spun the wheels and only 1 would turn at a time

This is normal since the rear end is turning the driveshaft. If you put it in park you will then see other side turn opposite direction. What about when you press the brakes and let off? Does each wheel turn free?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, Jaybird61 I jacked the car up and turned the wheel and only 1 wheel would spin at a time

Then you have a non limited slip rear axle assembly from the factory and this is normal. As long as you can turn both wheels indicate brakes are not locking up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but they only lock up when driving, there is something holding the car back really bad. Unless this could be a rear end issue I don't know.

Did the problem start after you replaced the brake master cylinder or another part? or did it start before it was replaced? I have seen where replacement calipers stick when hot and master cylinder apply rod in booter holding brakes partly on when hot after driving and get fluid hot. It does not seem to happen the first few miles of stop and go traffic.

I would suggest you drive it until you start feeling the brakes locking up and then raise wheels to see if they are locking up? You may need to get the fluid warmed up to reproduce the problem so you can then continue diagnosis to see if one or both calipers are binding or the problem is at the master cylinder booster push rod adjustment too long holding the master cylinder partly engaged.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It usually sticks pretty quick maybe 2-3 miles. I didn't replace anything until the brakes were holding up. Not long after I replaced the rotors,pads,calipers i replaced the master cylinder then recently i replaced the back brake hoses.

Did you have the recall on the brake booster pushrod problem or at least check with the dealer if it needs to be done? This may be causing the brakes to drag.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no i haven't

If you can duplicate the issue and can get it home and raise the rear wheel to verify the brakes is cause and then crack open the bleeder at caliper to see if pressure is still applied and releases the caliper? If it stays locked up even after opening bleeder then it is caused by caliper piston or the caliper slides are binding.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I guess that's it then until i check this out.So i want to thank you very much for your suggestions.
You are welcome.
Jaybird61
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Hi, Jaybird61 I was wondering about the push rod can you adjust a hydrallic master cylinder ?

The push rod should still be adjustable.

Jaybird61
Jaybird61