Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

Little confused! Replaced clutch linkage on my Dodge Dakota…

Little confused! Replaced clutch...

Little confused! Replaced clutch linkage on my Dodge Dakota 1999, What is proper way to bleed system! I do have a vacuum pump if that makes any difference?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?

Maybe 50,ooo, Replaced sometime ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced myself replaced whole system from top to clutch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that there is no bleeder values which I knew.

10/17/2017
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

If you look on the top of the slave cylinder there is an allen head plug. You have to remove the plug to bleed the system. Now for the hard part, the slave cylinder has to be higher then the master cylinder to bleed it out. Once you have the slave cylinder higher then the master cylinder, tilt the slave cylinder so the plug is higher then the rest of the slave cylinder and remove the plug. The have some one push the clutch pedal and hold it, with the master cylinder full of brake fluid. Snug the plug and have your helper let off of the pedal. Remove the plug again and have them push the pedal down again and hold it. By this time you should be getting fluid out of the hole. Before they let off of the pedal snug the plug back down. The new slave cylinder should have straps that hold the push rod in place. After you have the plug snug again, slip the straps of so the push rod can move out of the bore but do not remove the push rod. Have your helper push the pedal down and hold it again but this time do not loosen the plug. The plunger in the slave cylinder will push the push rod out. Have you helper hold the pedal down, and then loosen the plug. Push the push rod back into the cylinder and snug the plug back down and put the straps back on r to hold the push rod in place. Tighten the plug and put the slave cylinder back into the transmission and hit the clutch pedal. The straps will break but the push rod will be in the correct place. Pump the pedal three times and the clutch should work correctly.

kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Awesome answer thank you so much! One more thing what if there's no plug?
No thanks.

If there is no plug, then you have to do it the hard way. You have to remove the line from the slave cylinder and pour fluid into the slave cylinder through the hole for the line till it is full. The fill the master cylinder with fluid with the line above the master cylinder. When fluid starts to flow out of the line, place the line into the slave cylinder put do not push the line all the way in. You have to wait for a couple of seconds to let the fluid flow into the slave cylinder. Once fluid is flowing and you see no air bubbles, push the line into the slave cylinder and put the locking pin in to lock the line into the slave cylinder. Then put the slave cylinder back into the trans and pump the pedal three times.

kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech