Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just replaced the turbo I on a 2010 Dodge Cummins. I went…

I just replaced the turbo...
I just replaced the turbo I on a 2010 Dodge Cummins. I went to recalibrate the old actuator which was working fine before hand. The calibration wouldn’t go through and kept saying failed. Went ahead and bolted it on to see if it would work as it should. No movement at all from it.
I’m getting p00af, p0046, u0075. If I’m not mistaken. I’m getting proper ground and power to the vgt actuator. Ecu is commanding the actuator to move as it should. What gets me is it worked as it should of and all I done was removed it and went to plug it in and recalibrate it and nothing. Auto zero stays at 0% while desired percentage says at 5%
From what I can tell the u code is from a disturbance in the can signal coming from the vgt actuator. That code comes back as soon as I clear the codes. The two actuator codes come back after the four drive Cycles. Actuator isn’t trying to do anything. My question is more or less is the u code from the actuator issue causing a disturbance to the can signal.
10/17/2017
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • INFORMATION, I have no magic ball, please give me all the details you can.
  • FEES, I am user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website..
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box in the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

The monitor for this U code error detects disturbances on the J1939 Data Link which contains the following nodes: VG Turbocharger, O2 Sensor Module and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Yes the actuator can cause this code.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5 star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Have you ran into a actuator just dying from unplugging it?

No I have not had one fail from just unplugging it. I can see the connector or wiring possibly getting damaged and now having a resistance issue.

Exactly my thought but I have inspected the wiring on the actuator and harness and have found nothing. If one failed calibration would it cause it not to operate? Before auto zero was 50%, commanded went threw the full percentage as it should. Desired didn’t sweep the full percentage but did operate because a exhaust gasket blew and was wedged stopping the veins from full operation.
I installled the new turbo and went to prealign the actuator and could not get it to pass. It hummed for a split second the first attempt. Then didn’t do anything for the next several attempts. Decided to try to install it to see what it would do. Even key on no movement. Auto zero is at 0%, ecu commands normally, desired stays at 5.0%. Can drive it this way.I didn’t drop or bang it. Simply removed laid in table then after the job was finished went to calibrate.Has proper power and ground supply. My lab scope doesn’t work so I can’t do that step. Only thing I can figure is something has shorted out internal. What are your thoughts? If you need anymore info just ask.

One other option we can do is go through the diagnostic steps. You mentioned other codes but you were not sure if they were current or old. Can you scan it again?

They were current codes. Codes re occur p00af, p0046, u0076.
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Thanks I’ve already done those and ended up replacing the the actuator. You gave me everything I already knew. But to someone else you would of helped them out. I just figured I’d like a second opinion.

You are welcome

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician