Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dodge

I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi truck. It’s very

Customer Question
stock and has not been...
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L hemi truck. It’s very stock and has not been modified in any way. Recently the “Lamp out” light has come on and I noticed my left and right rear brake lights do not come on but my 3rd brake light behind my cab does work. If I turn the lights of the car on all 3 bulbs on both sides function for hazard, blinker or reverse lights so I know it’s not the bulbs. I have also checked all fuses in the fuse box assigned to brakes and lights so I don’t think it’s a fuse.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/12/2017
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
eric remington

ok eric here to help....possible t/s switch but lets not get a head of basics so ck the wires at socket that feed the brake light and make sure you have power there

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Which wires are you referring to for me to check. The bulbs all light up for other things like reverse or hazard so I know there are no issues with the wires down by the lights just perhaps wires around the fuse box or fcu but I have no idea what to check.
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

o​k so we just need to confirm that you are not getting power to the sockets then we will trace the wires back from there I CAN TELL YOU WHICH AND WHERE TO CHECK...THAT WORK?

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

S​O apply the brakes and get a test light and meter and see if we are getting power or not...yes its possible you have to bad sockets...rare but you can never assume in diagnostics

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please bare with me as I’m not good with electrical but if there are 3 bulbs in the tail light and I can make all 3 of them light up by putting in reverse, turning the hazards on and blinkers on how could there be a socket problem also when it’s both sides not just one side? I can’t check anything until I get home from work tonight. Thanks!
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

I​f the turn signal and brake light share the same filament then it would be safe to assume that you are not getting power there. but its a quick simple check. if you confirm that no power is there then we can continue to next step...ive been working on vehicles over 30 years

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

possibilities include ts switch wiring issue or sockets...I will help you determine what issue is..I promise

Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

its doubtful that a socket sockets are issue but lets be sure....Ive made mistakes by assuming

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok will check tonight
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

k lemme know

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I’m a bit delayed in finding time to check this. Please bare with me. Should provide feedback no later then Saturday morning.
Dodge Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

no problem I understand take your time

Jerry, Master Mechanic