Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It will start but no spark at no 4 or 8 cylinder it has the…

Customer Question
Hi it will start...

Hi it will start but no spark at no 4 or 8 cylinder it has the same voltage at the coil plug as no 2 no 2 no problem using the same coil no spark at 8

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes it starts and runs no problem charging around 14.8 volts

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '14 Dodge?

4.7 2002 2wd 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i am in scotland so no one else i am a motorcycle mechanic

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 10 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

The coils all get battery power then they are activated when the ECM grounds the control wire. So this would either mean wiring problem or ECM (Engine Control Module) which is the main engine computer has failed. So since you know power is good next step is testing the control wire. The blue/red wire on coil 8 goes from coil to pin 9 of connector 1 at ECM. Unplug ecm and check resistance between two points, if resistance is under 5 ohms then ECM needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have questions or if there is anything else I can do to help, thanks.

Hello Dan
my name is Ian

Hello Ian, here is answer again in case you missed my previous reply.

the pcm is new

Did you have exact same problem before replacing? Did you test control wires?

if i put a volt meter over the coil connections the same voltage is showing at all coil connections do you mean between the coil and the ecu
ecm

That is correct, between the coil and ECM.

the resistance is 9.7 ohms

That is too high, it should be under 5 ohms. Verify one of the working cylinders have lower resistance if so clean connectors to see if that helps if not run new wires. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

i don't know if it was the same i bought it as a non runner
the cylinder heads have been changed for new ones one was cracked

Compare resistance on control wire between cylinder 8 and cylinder 7, if cylinder 8 has higher resistance then clean connectors and run new wire. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

they are are the same it is sparking on no 7 using the same coil

You need to check resistance of control wire between coil 7 and ECM then compare reading to coil and ECM. If resistance is 9.7 ohms that is too high so you will need to run new wires between coils 8/4 and ECM if connectors are in good condition.

ok will check all the wiring resistance and get back to you thanks it is all little to dark outside now will do it in morning and let you know.
thanks for the help Ian
have cleaned up the connectors the ohmns now reads 1.6 still no spark

Has anything else been replaced such as crank sensor?

no but the cams have been off when the heads were replaced the sensor was changed over to new head

I'll open question up to see if someone else has some ideas, only other thing I'd think of is replacing crank sensor.

Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 10 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

Can I get your VIN number and also what codes are setting?

Talk soon,

Brad

hello Brad
There are no codes and no engine light the vin307HA18N12G122554

What is the compression of the dead cylinders?

there is no spark compression is fine there

The 4.7 has a tone wheel on the passenger side camshaft, I see that you said the head was replaced.. Did you use the same tone wheel?

Hi Dan
I don't know it was not me that changed them but i had the same thought i also told you the wrong cylinder no it is no 7 and 8 that has no spark so i will remove the rocker cover tomorrow can you give me any details on the tone for me to check
I would contact who replace the head and see if the same tone wheel was used.Thanks,
Brad
tone wheel replaced but now gone to scrap can you tell me on the tone wheel for a 16 tooth jtec motor the cut outs or holes are from the v8 stamp are i have clock wise 11312213 can you tell me if this is correct
old one gone to scrap