Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

02 Dakota will not come out of 4wd with switch in Wed

Customer Question
02 Dakota will not...

02 Dakota will not come out of 4wd with switch in Wed position. When put into 4wd position it blinks for a while then returns to 2wd position

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Dakota yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried backing up for a long ways .and turning the switch back and forth. I can hear a faint click momentarily after putting into 4wd

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Just started a day ago. Sounds like it is coming from the transfer case.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about all I know about it.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 10 months ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.
Hi Chris what do you think?
If the light blinks while trying to shift to 4WD, and then goes back to 2WD, then the transfer case motor / sensor assembly has failed. Either the motor is not working, or the sensor is not telling the transfer case control module that the t case motor is not shifting into 4WD. Now it msy be a wiring issue at the transfer case motor assembly, so have that checked out 1st. If no problems are found with the wiring or connector, then suspect the transfer case motor assembly and have it replaced.Chris
Thanks
You are very welcome! I hope that this information is helpful and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system or by accepting my answer? I would really appreciate it. I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me.Thank you!
Chris
Good morning!
I hope that my information was helpful, and if so, would you kindly take a moment and rate my service using the just answer star rating system or by accepting my answer? I would really appreciate it.
I will still be able to help you out even after you rate me for no extra charge.Thank you!Chris