Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Reoccurring p0344 diagnostic code, P0344. Yes I habe reset…

Customer Question
Reoccurring p0344 diagnostic code ...

Reoccurring p0344 diagnostic code

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

P0344. Yes I habe reset it and changed the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and it has a new camshaft gears

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

Well it's actually a jeep. But it's a 2005 grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New timing chains and cam gears, new head gaskets rebuild the heads with new valves lash adjusters. New cam and crank sensors.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/6/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mike, Auto Mechanic replied 10 months ago
Mike, Auto Mechanic

Hello, my name is***** will be helping you out! I have over thirteen year of experience in the automotive industry for numerous different makes & models. I enjoy doing what I do, it is my life.

Disconnect the cam sensor and give me each pin reading using a volt meter, if you need to use a T pin or safety pin to be able to touch each pin without damaging it.

Do the same for the crank sensor, need to see harness side voltage and ground reading each pin and that is with key on engine off

Once you get me that info I can tell you what the problem is.

Ok. I'll try to get that done tomorrow. I did replace the engine with a junkyard engine and had to replace all the timing gear due to a broken timing chain guide. But my point is I may have smashed the wire harness a bit.

If possible send me a photo of the smashed harness as well.

Does the vehicle start??

It was the section of wires above the transmission right at the fire wall. So probably won't be able to get a shot. I barely messed up the loom so I didn't look at the wires. That was also a year ago. Starts fine, seems to run ok. Down on power a bit doesn't misfire.

ok sounds good, get me those readings on each sensor, also after you determine the voltages, get a test light and see if there is any pin that has both power and ground on the same pin. To do this, put the test light bat positive check grounds light up, then switch the test light to ground battery and see if there is any power lighting up on the same pin the ground lights up.

Performed the test. 5.0 volts exactly on two of three pins on both sensors. No ground fault on the two pins with power on both and I have ground on the third pin without power on both sensors. I replaced the sensors with the best aftermarket I could get at the local auto parts store. Should I get the factory Chrysler sensors?

wiring looks good then, it is possible that the timing chain skipped one or two teeth, would like for you to verify using a scope, but that might not be possible for you. the wiring seems ok, and the sensor is new, may have to recheck the timing, do you have access to a scope?

It has all new timing chains, tensioners and guides. I put new cam gears on it as well. Timing is right on the money. I had this problem before I did the timing stuff and head gaskets. The target wheel in the cam was slightly rusty son I figured that was the problem and changed it out. I did replace the cam sensor before the new cam gear went in so could the bad target wheel have messed it up?

It is possible, Im trying to figure out ways away from a scope machine, (its the only way I do to monitor the cam/crank correlation and signal) lets at least see the avg reading on each sensor. Go to the cam signal wire, (the one with the 5v) put the red wire on your voltmeter to that wire, and the black wire to ground. monitor the voltage reading while your cranking or running. Do the same with the crank. You should see the 5 volts move up and down as its running or moving, let me know if there is one that is not moving.

Also, did you perform cam/crank relearn using the proper scanner?

No I did not!! I was going to ask that. I came across that in a forum somewhere and was curious. I have a somewhat cheap autel al519. So it probably can't do the re-lear. Is it worth getting Chrysler sensors before I do a re-learn?

I have experienced cases where I had to buy OEM chrysler sensors, worse are the oxygen sensors. I've had few cases of having to buy OEM crank/cam sensors. I really wish I was there with my equipment to properly fix it for you. You will need to do relearn procedure and you will need scope machine to properly monitor the sensors.

I'm going to fork out the cash for new OEM cam/crank sensors and have it re-flashed. I'll update you after that if it works or not.

It would be better to actually diagnose it before putting parts in it. Do you know of anyone that will loan you a scope? We can definitely go through a walk through using a scope. Or we can attempt to diagnose using a voltmeter, but it can sometimes be inaccurate, but maybe it will give us a general idea where to look into.

I definitely would not be able to find a scope to use. Not sure if you can rent one. I know a mechanic that owns his own small shop that would be able to check the signal I'll give him a call

ok sounds good, that would be the wiser option, hate for you to have to replace parts and not work.

Let me know when you find out about your mechanic please