Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have no brake lights, turn signals or hazards all of a…

Customer Question
I have no brake...

I have no brake lights, turn signals or hazards all of a sudden. Running lights on. Changes 2 20amp fused under hood. One fuse burnt out already

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Fluid fine

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 ram 1500 5.2 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just changed 2 20 amp fuses under hood..put one fuse in for hazard light and got hazards in front only. Then i put fuse for stop lamp in and still no brake lights. New fuse looks like it burned out already

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dont think so

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/5/2017
Dodge Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Do you have a volt meter?

No sir

Ok you are going to need one so we can check for shorts or opens in the wiring.

Ok ill try to make it to the store

ok

Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello! Different tech here.

Please let me know when you have a voltmeter.

Also, if you would like we can speak on the phone as it will be easier for both of us.

Hello. I was able to get a tester. Can u walk me thru?

YES sir we certainly can.

We are going to start by checking the brake light circuit.

Start by checking for battery voltage going into the brake light switch on the pink/dark blue wire. This wire should have power at all times.

If that checks out good, lets check for power on the white/tan wire leaving the brake light switch with the brake pedal depressed and connector plugged into the brake light switch. You will have to back probe the wires/connector to get a reading.

Would u believe brand new volt meter isnt working now..smh. sorry man will have to hit u back when i figure it out or get another. Thx for the quick response

No problem sir.

Just let me know when your ready to continue.

Will do

.