Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Cruise control will not reset after tapping the break. have…

Customer Question
cruise control will not...

cruise control will not reset after tapping the break. have to pull over, shut down and restart to reactivate cruise control

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuse? What size is your engine?

Haven't checked the fuse because it will set but too often will NOT reset. Vehicle is a 2007 Sprinter 3.5L V6

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'd attempt to if I had an inkling as to what is causing the problem i.e. how to troubleshoot

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Only that it recently started

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/5/2017
Dodge Mechanic: -Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech replied 8 months ago
-Brad-
-Brad-, Dodge Dealership Tech

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 19 years and I will do my best to help.

The cruise will disengage when you press the brakes, but it should restart when you turn it back on.. When you press the brakes are the brake lights staying on? If you have a stuck brake light switch this will prevent the cruise from restarting.. If no then do you know if any codes are setting by connecting a scantool.. Here is the operation:

OPERATION

When speed control operation is selected by the speed control switch, the diesel Engine Control Module (ECM) or gas Powertrain Control Module (PCM) allows a set speed to be stored in its RAM for speed control. To store a set speed, press either of the SET switch functions while the vehicle is moving, and above 25 mph (40 km/h). In order for the speed control to engage, the brakes cannot be applied, nor can the gear selector be indicating the transmission is in Park or Neutral.

The speed control can be disengaged manually by:

1. Stepping on the brake pedal
  2. Pressing the speed control switch to OFF
  3. Depressing the clutch pedal (if equipped).

NOTE:Depressing the OFF switch or turning off the ignition switch will erase the set speed stored in the ECM.

For added safety, the speed control system is programmed to disengage for any of the following conditions:

1. An indication of Park or Neutral
  2. A rapid increase rpm (indicates that the clutch has been disengaged)
  3. Excessive engine rpm (indicates that the transmission may be in a low gear)
  4. The speed signal increases at a rate of 10 mph per second (indicates that the coefficient of friction between the road surface and tires is extremely low)
  5. The speed signal decreases at a rate of 10 mph per second (indicates that the vehicle may have decelerated at an extremely high rate)

Once the speed control has been disengaged, depressing the RES/ACCEL switch (when speed is greater than 30 mph) restores the vehicle to the target speed that was stored in the ECM.

While the speed control is engaged, the driver can increase the vehicle speed by depressing the RES/ACCEL switch. The new target speed is stored in the ECM when the RES/ACCEL is released. The PCM or ECM also has a "tap-up" feature in which vehicle speed increases at a rate of approximately 2 mph for each momentary switch activation of the RES/ACCEL switch.

A “tap down” feature is used to decelerate without disengaging the speed control system. To decelerate from an existing recorded target speed, momentarily depress the COAST switch. For each switch activation, speed will be lowered approximately 1 mph

If your not familiar with how JustAnswer works, You ask a question, I try and give you the best answer I can and then you leave a positive rating so I get credit for helping.. I strive for excellent ratings and greatly appreciate all bonuses.. Feel free to reply back as many times as needed until your issues is resolved...

Feel free to request me in the future for all your Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep needs..

Take care,

Brad