Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2006 Dodge Magnum, 5.7 L engine, 160,000 miles. suddenly…

Customer Question
2006 Dodge Magnum, 5.7...

2006 Dodge Magnum, 5.7 L engine, 160,000 miles. suddenly began overheating while on vacation trip. We stopped, got a motel, let the engine cool overnight, added coolant (1/2 gallon) and tried again. It overheated in he first 10 miles. Had it towed to a repair shop and got a rental car. The shop says they replaced the thermostat and drove it 30 miles without any sign of overheating. I not convinced I should start for home tomorrow when I pick it up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?

The tell me (via telephone) that they pressure tested the cooling system. there was never any fluid on the ground under the car. The coolant was full when we started thetrip

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Magnum yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. My wife and were travelling (vacation) and left the car with a mechanic in NC. We are returning tomorrow to get the car and go home. I don't know what else was done other than the pressure test and the thermostat replacement.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Radiator, water pump, thermostat were replace early this year when a leak occurred, so they are relatively new.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/4/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 7 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am sorry you are having this overheating issue with your vehicle. I can certainly help answer any questions that you may have.

What exactly is your question with your vehicle? Are you wondering if it is safe to drive on a long road trip?

Basically, yes. the car is in northern NC and we live near Augusta ga. The mechanic says it's ready to go, but I have a wife and 2 dogs and the overheating was sudden and extreme. I'm worried about it occurring on the way home.
Is a thermostat failure a good explanation for the problem we had?

Got it! Thank you for clearing that up for me.

YES, the thermostat is a possible cause for what you were experiencing.

While I cannot predict the future and tell you yes the vehicle will break down or NO, the vehicle will run just fine on your trip, I will say, if the mechanic said it was in good condition and ready to go, you should be OK.

I would recommend to take it a step further and let the vehicle run and possible idle for about 30 minutes while it gets nice and hot to ensure the engine does not overheat or start leaking any fluid. Without being able to know for sure one way or another, this would be your best bet or indicator how well the vehicle will do while driving on a long trip.

I was under the impression that thermostats were supposed to fail open now, not closed like they used to. Is this true.
Also, I've been doing some searches on line and it seems that the fan is two speed and needs to operate on high speed to keep the temperature down. Could a fan failure cause the problem?
Should I ask the mechanic if he checked the fan?

Thermostats can still fail either way.

You can certainly ask the mechanic about the fan. However, if the engine does not overheat at idle, that means the fan is working like it should.

Thank you. We will give the car a good trial before we get on the interstate.

Your welcome!

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or off line spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician