Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It won't start. Will do...i tried jump start also...but, did…

Customer Question
It won't start Mechanic's...

It won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No...will do...i tried jump start also...but, did not start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2013 Grand caravan

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am not a techie...not sure if the battery id dead...or if tyhr starter is gone...\

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/3/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 10 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So if you have a spare vehicle you can take the battery out and run it up to the local auto parts store, they can test the battery for free, they will check all aspects of the battery, and if its low recharge it for you, all this for free, and if bad of course they will sell you one , just make sure when removing the battery to take off negative then positive, and install positive then negative

I don't think it's easy to take out the battery...in the 2013 dodge grand caravan as the left nut is accessible but the right nut is not..and something else will need to be removed before we access the right nut to loosen. A tried tarting it 10-15 times, and 2-3 times the remote ignition starter key got stuck in the key hole & would not come off......it has finally. Also, there was a purring sound from the engine for 20 minutes (while the key was stuck in)
Are we sure if the battery is dead and it is not a starter problem? We tried jump start and that should have atleast started my engine while being connected to the other running car with the jump start cables. Also, some lights front/back sometimes the lights were flickering while jumpo starting and even after, so maybe the battery has some juice? The windows never rolled down but the door lock worked. There is a solid red dot light on the dashboard that comes on when the key is inserted....

im not sure that why you should get it checked

Since I am not a techie, nor do I have the tools, so I will not be able to remove the battery myself, and would have to call a tow truck to tow it to a private nearby mechanic's workshop to get the battery checked or removed.....at thier workshop and this would cost lots...I do have extended 7 years warranty with dodge when I brought it new 4 years back. Should I call dodge dealership..would dead battery replacement be covered in the extended warranty. I paid about $ 2,600 extra (at purchase time) for the upgrade the warranty to 7 year 120k km...

the battery would be prorated depending on the age of that, but the main warranty you bought wouldnt cover that as it is a part that wears out like brake or tires, most insurance companies will cover the tow though for free, so worst case your looking at the cost of a battery, and if its more than that everything else will be covered under the warranty