Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My daughter has a nitro, that the check engine light came…

Customer Question
My daughter has a...

My daughter has a nitro, that the check engine light came on, she was told to try a new gas cap, she got one from a dealer. The light just came on again. What else can it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

I believe it stays on ,she's at work right now. She called me to say it was back on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Nitro?

2009? Or 2010 Not sure, lol

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Nitro yourself? What have you tried so far?

So far, she just got a new gas cap. Unrelated, she just had to get brakes, so wer're seeing what we can do ourselves

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

This is her biggest concern at this time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 10 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, there are over 500 fault codes that can set the check engine light, so the first step is to retrieve the fault codes. If your daughter's Nitro has a digital odometer she can do this herself.

She will need to do the following within 5 seconds (may take a couple of tries) -

Turn key in ignition on-off-on-off-on, leaving it in the on position(on position is position before cranking position). Now look at the odometer and she will see codes scroll across. They will be either Pxxxx codes or Uxxxx codes - example P0420, U0101

Have her do this and let you know the codes and then post them here for me

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.