Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have an 09 charger v6. Within the instrument cluster

Customer Question
there's a temperature gauge...
I have an 09 charger v6. Within the instrument cluster there's a temperature gauge which constantly reads -40. Changed the ambient temperature sensor (which I assume is for the engine management) without any change. Where would i find the sensor for this reading? It's the only function of the instrument cluster that doesn't work.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. The ambient temperature sensor is not the sensor for this gauge. The ambient temperature sensor is for the HVAC system. The sensor that you are looking for is the coolant temperature sensor. Here, I am attaching the description and operation of the ambient sensor along the cluster information that includes the operation of the temperature gauge.

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE GAUGEThis gauge is controlled by the instrument cluster circuit board based upon cluster programming and electronic messages received by the cluster from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) over the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus.The engine coolant temperature gauge is a stepper motor gauge that receives battery current on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board through the fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit whenever the ignition switch is in the On or Start positions. The cluster is programmed to move the gauge needle back to the low end of the scale after the ignition switch is turned to the Off position. The instrument cluster circuitry controls the gauge needle position and provides the following features:- Engine Temperature Message - Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating the engine coolant temperature is between the low end of normal [about 54° C (130° F)] and the high end of normal [about 127° C (260° F)], the gauge needle is moved to the actual relative temperature position on the gauge scale.
- Engine Temperature Low Message - Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating the engine coolant temperature is below the low end of normal [about 54° C (130° F)], the gauge needle is held at the "C" increment at low end of the gauge scale. The gauge needle remains at the low end of the gauge scale until the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating that the engine temperature is above about 54° C (130° F), or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first.
- Engine Temperature High Message - Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating the engine coolant temperature is above about 127° C (260° F), the gauge needle is moved into the red zone on the gauge scale, the engine temperature indicator is illuminated, and a single chime tone is sounded. The gauge needle remains in the red zone and the engine temperature indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives a message from the PCM indicating that the engine temperature is below about 127° C (260° F), or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first. The chime tone feature will only repeat during the same ignition cycle if the engine temperature indicator is cycled off and then on again by the appropriate engine temperature messages from the PCM.
- Communication Error - If the cluster fails to receive an engine temperature message, it will hold the gauge needle at the last indication for about five seconds or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first. After five seconds, the cluster will move the gauge needle to the low end of the gauge scale.
- Actuator Test - Each time the cluster is put through the actuator test, the engine coolant temperature gauge needle will be swept to several calibration points on the gauge scale in a prescribed sequence in order to confirm the functionality of the gauge and the cluster control circuitry.The PCM continually monitors the engine coolant temperature sensor to determine the engine operating temperature. The PCM then sends the proper engine coolant temperature messages to the instrument cluster. For further diagnosis of the engine coolant temperature gauge or the instrument cluster circuitry that controls the gauge, See: Instrument Cluster / Carrier > Component Tests and General Diagnostics > Instrument Cluster. If the instrument cluster turns on the engine temperature indicator due to a high engine temperature gauge reading, it may indicate that the engine or the engine cooling system requires service. The engine coolant temperature gauge is serviced as a unit with the instrument cluster.

Here, I am providing location information for the coolant temperature sensor along with removal information. This is likely to be your issue. Although, if this doesn't cure your issue, then the cluster maybe the culprit.

Here is testing information for the instrument cluster.

Here, is testing information for the sensor. This will help you determine if the wiring is sound.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Just as a reminder, if you have found this information helpful, please do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician