Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2007 Dodge 1500 with a 5.7 l the little red

Customer Question
lightning bolt light lit up...
I have a 2007 Dodge 1500 with a 5.7 l the little red lightning bolt light lit up I replaced the electronic throttle control module ran fine for 5 minutes It started doing the same exact thing no throttle low idle and stalls red lightning bolt bacl on. The replacement part was Molar.
What should I check now?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
10/1/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 8 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The electronic throttle control light will come on when the powertrain control module sees any failure that will prevent it from correctly controlling RPM. The problem could be the accelerator pedal position sensor, the MAP sensor, wiring, a vacuum leak, or the PCM itself if the throttle body has been ruled out.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there. Do you know what fault codes are currently setting?

No I will check them in the AM and follow up with you.
Thank you

You're welcome!

I checked, the fault code reads PO522 low oil pressure

Has the ETC light not been on since codes were cleared then?

No, it came on and the truck had the same symptoms on the 2nd test drive. Prior to the 1st test drive, after replacing the part, I cleared the codes, there were multiple codes, I didn't write them down. I thought the electronic throttle control failing and horrible way the truck was running had set off the codes. The truck ran great on the 1st drive, approx 7 miles, into to and back. After that the truck sat for an hour, when I started it up for the 2nd drive the red lightning bolt light came on, the check engine light came on and the vehicle sputtered and stalled multiple times.
Thinking back I know the check engine light came on and I it , the low oil pressure, and a code referring to the get valve. I replaced the egr valve, but not the oil pump. I cleared the codes. When the truck would be warming up there would be a light knock and the check engine light would come on. When I was driving it there would be no knocking and no performance issues. It was running like that for a year .I did have the red lightning bolt light about 18 months back but I just cleaned the throttle body and the red lightning bolt light went off and the truck ran great. Now it's running horrible

You'll need to allow the ETC light to come back on and then read the codes.

It did on the 2nd test drive and the check engine light came on too, and the only code was the PO522.
Right now, before heading into work, I started truck, no red lightning bolt light. It's idling about 900 rpms, no sputtering, no stalling out.
When I get off work I'll test drive the vehicle and see if that won't trigger their red lightning bolt again. Also a check to see if I can't get any more codes to be thrown. When the truck failed the 1st time my friend was driving and had a limp the truck back homehome
When she got with the truck thats when it had all the codes

P0522 is for the oil sender circuit and not related to the ETC light. There are more codes stored than just that if the light has been on sine the codes were cleared.

I'm sorry had responded sooner it's been a few weeks since I have been able to get to the truck. I drove it this morning it ran fine for about 2 miles and then the lightning bolt started flashing in the car would no longer run correctly it would sputter and stall it did throw a code the only code it throw was the po522. I know you told me it should throw more codes but I'm just not seeing them. I have just a little cheap OBD 2 tester is there some kind of other device more expensive one that reads codes that I can't read a little cheap 1?

You're going to need better equipment if the ETC light is coming on but you're not able to see the codes, this is something I see regularly where when generic code readers are used. You can try having the codes read at a parts store to see if they're able to find something else, otherwise an actual scan tool is going to be necessary.

Will do
Let me know how it goes!