Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2013 ram 2500 diesel truck and the "glow plug" won,

Customer Question
I have a 2013...

I have a 2013 ram 2500 diesel truck and the "glow plug" won

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Won't work if you jump in and start it (in cold) but if you remotely start it will work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't done anything but I would like to fix it before winter sets in. If I can fix it myself I want to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I don't think so

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 7 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'ll be assisting you with your question today. Please give me a few moments to review your question. Also keep in mind that I do not know your skill level or abilities so I may be asking a lot of questions before I can answer. In some cases we may need to respond to each other quite a bit before I can come up with a possible solution for you. As far as phone calls, If you didn't request it, it is most likely the Website prompting you, not me. A Live Call is a "Premium Service" and will cost more money. I prefer communicating via this site, but in some cases a phone call may be recommended.

What do you mean "the glow plug won"?

So it will not start when you try to start it using the key but will start if you "remote start" it?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

What do you mean "the glow plug won"?

Do you start it using a "Fob"? Or does it have push button start?

I very liry of this! And yes when if I get in (30degrees or colder) the “glow plugs” don’t start warm. So it cold starts. But if I use the remote start the “glow plugs” preheat and then it starts.

Has the check engine light been on? Has it been scanned for codes?

How are you able to determine that the "Cold Start" system is not functioning when you get in and start it using the key?

A Dodge truck is actually NOT equipped with "Glow Plugs". It has a cold start system which consists of a "Heater Grid" on the intake manifold which warms up the in coming air as it passes through the heater grid.

I just want to be sure we are on the same page with this.

How can you tell that it is not operating properly when using the key as opposed to remote starting it?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Push button start. And yes fob
  • Has the check engine light been on?
  • Has it been scanned for codes?
  • How can you tell that the "Glow Plug" is not operating properly when getting in to start it as opposed to remote starting it?
push button start. Heater grid doesn’t come on. Yes I’ve had and check engine light but it did not have an error for this. Here is a video of a push button start.
I’m trying to send video but it’s not wanting to send

You will need to post your video to Youtube. Post a link to your youtube video here and I'll review it and let you know my thoughts...

Thank you,

Robert

In other words, you get in the vehicle, press the brake and press the start button. The vehicle starts without pausing to wait for the heater grid to come on??

Is this the scenario where you are starting it using the pushbutton? What is the temperature when this happens?

I also need to let you know that my responses may be delayed because I may be helping another customer, or I may be temporarily offline. Your understanding is greatly appreciated.

Thank you...

Robert

27 degrees.
No worries I’m at work myself

This would be considered normal if you are pressing the brake BEFORE you press the start button. If you want the heater grid to come on, try pressing the start button twice WITHOUT pressing on the brake first. This should turn the ignition on without starting the engine. The heater grid should come on for at least 5 to 10 seconds. At that time, while still in run position, press the brake and then the start button to start the engine...
Try this and let me know if it works for you....

Thank you,

Robert

Ok. I will have to try it tomorrow as it’s too warm here and now

Sounds good, I'll be here in case you have additional questions at that time..

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

If this works what does that mean. And if it doesn’t what does mean?

It means that your vehicle is operating as designed. If I'm correct, the ECM will ONLY delay starting when pressing the brake first when the temperature is below a certain threshold which would absolutely REQUIRE the heater grid to come on. It is considered normal if the vehicle starts on the first try even with the heater grid not coming on when pressing the brake pedal first.

If there was any type of concern with the heater grid or cold start system, the check engine light will be illuminated and a related code will be stored in the ECM...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok

Let me know what you come up with when you start it in the morning and we can go from there...

PS - make sure to note the actual ambient temperature when you do the cold start and post it here also...

Thank you,

Robert

I did as you ask at 32 degrees this morning and the truck just started up without warming up first.
Or preheat the air

Did you press the start button twice to turn on the ignition WITHOUT pressing on the brake pedal first?? If you did this, the vehicle should NOT have started. It should ONLY have turned on the ignition to the run position. The preheat light should have came on for a few seconds...

When you started it did, it start on the first press of the start button??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I did as u instructed the light came on and went off with all the other lights then stepped on the brake. The truck started right up without the preheat.

The light coming on and then shutting off IS the preheat cycle. The length of time that preheat stays on depends on the actual coolant temperature of the engine. If you happen to be plugging in the block heater, the preheat cycle will be VERY short. At this time, I would have to conclude that the cold start system is functioning as designed. Especially since engine is starting at first try. If there was an issue with any of the components that comprise the cold start system, the ECM would have set a diagnostic trouble code and the check engine light would remain illuminated.

As the weather becomes colder you will find that the preheat light will remain on for a longer period of time. If you happen to use the block heater religiously, you will probably NEVER have a long preheat cycle for more than a few seconds.

I'm posting some pages from the owner's manual diesel supplement that explains cold starting and that it is normal for the preheat cycle to vary depending on actual engine tempurature (NOT ambient temperature).. --->> Click Here to view <<---

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Remember, you ALREADY paid to use the site, all the rating does is credit the Expert for his time and effort. This comes out of the deposit that you have left with JustAnswer... Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

Thank you and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Robert

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master