Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 dodge 3500 cummins automatic. disconnected my…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 dodge 3500 cummins automatic. disconnected my battery terminals to clean them put them back on and now my truck wont shift out of first gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

Brake switch? where is that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I did a apps reset. rechecked all my wires thats about it up to now I did have a 0460 code

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The truck had no problems before I disconnected battery and yes i fix my own vehicles.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/30/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that can prevent the trans from shifting out of first gear. It could be a governor issue, the kickdown band or servo, possibly a stuck 1-2 shift valve in the valve body.

Do you have an actual scan tool to monitor data?

I do have a scan tool.The onboard diagnostics showed a 122 code and a0460. i have not scanned with my hand held yet.

Can you see if governor pressure is equal to target while driving fast enough that it should shift into second?

The truck ran fine.I cleaned off battery terminals and after that it wouldnt shift.However there is something i forgot to mention...On the drivers side of the transmission on top of the shift arm is a small lever with a spring on it and a cable that snaps onto it. I discovered this when i looked to see where the neutral safety switch is located.It was probably off for a long time just hanging by the spring. Could i have installed it wrong and does that have anything to do with shifting?
The truck shifted fine without that lever on!
Is it fully forward? It sounds like it is too far rearward.
i believe it is fully forward
its pouring rain right now so i cant check it out but im almost positive its forward. what does that do?
That's the throttle valve lever.
that could be the issue correct? if i had it on wrong then that could be my problem.
When this pouring rain lets up im going to crawl under the truck!
Ok.
I solved the problem. The band you adjust from the outside of the transmission is no longer working.I disconnected throttle valve and now it shifts.I will have to replace band at some point but for now im good!

Great!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08