Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

When hooking the scan tool up to the truck it will not allow…

Customer Question
When hooking the scan...

When hooking the scan tool up to the truck it will not allow me to read it. also the brake lights are always on when the key is on. This is why I found out I can not read the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

Brake fluid is full. the brakes work normally but the tail lights are always on. I can not read the ecm on the truck either.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

04 dodge ram 2500 cummins

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took it to a shop and all they said was they could not read the ecm either

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/28/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 8 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Do you have access to a multi-meter and/or incandescent test lamp to do some electrical testing??

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

We have tested all the wiring that goes to the tail lights and the ecm. The truck runs but we are having issue with it shifting when you take off from a stop light. when we had issues with reading the truck is when the brake lights stay on all the time when the truck is running. It does have a trailer brake controller on it.
I am not near the truck so all i can do is tell you what has been done to it.
We did take it to a shop and all they told us was that they could not read the computer to the truck so there was nothing they could do but replace the ECM which they would not do they wanted us to take it to the dealer
I have never seen a bad ECM and the truck still run

Someone needs to check the Diagnostic Connector to see if there is battery voltage present on pin 16. If voltage is not present there, the tech will need to diagnose the cause. If you need help with this let me know... Post back the results of this test and we can go from there....

Thank you,

Robert

I myself HAVE seen a truck running with a bad ECM... It is DEFINITELY possible....

Thank you,

Robert

ok that helps. We did have a reman engine put in this truck the problems started shortly after that.

Sounds good, Let me know what you find...

Thank you,

Robert

****Please remember, this expert will not be paid for his time and effort unless you "Rate" leaving a "Positive" rating of 3 Stars or better. Thanks in advance for a positive rating ****

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Robert R
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master