Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

The horn blows whenever it wants to. Windshield wipers

Customer Question
The horn blows whenever...

The horn blows whenever it wants to. Windshield wipers throwing water all over the place. Key fob doesn't unlock door. The other morning when tried to get in vehicle horn started to blow, louder than I ever heard. Woke the whole neighborhood. Took to the dealership and they were busy and wanted me to leave car but I needed to get to work. Horn didn't blow for balance of day. This morning 9/27 it started again so drove directly to dealership about 3/4 mile from my house and when I got there they finally realized I'm not totally crazy.. They previously had suggested if it happened I should disconnect the battery and the horn would stop blowing. I'm 77 years old and don't think that is something I would try to do. I found on google today there have been many complaints for the past couple of years with more serious consequences. Believe the problem to be the TIPM circuit board. This is my only transportation and I am beside myself. The dealership just called and keeping car overnight. My biggest fear is it will catch on fire when all this stuff starts. I don't think it's going to get any better.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fob's battery?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

Dodge Nitro 2008. It's my understanding this is the only one without a recall.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Nitro yourself? What have you tried so far?

What's to fix. Neighbor looked at electrical box and pulled out horn fuse. All that did was make the horn not so loud. It kept beeping. Said sparks were flying. Once when it started although only for a minute or so I could hear popping but couldn't tell if was in front or back of vehicle. Very scary.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Has he had any other owners with the same problems/ Another old time long distance driver thought the relay switch might be wet. I don't even know where that would be.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/26/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 10 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

YES, Ma'am, this is a very common problem with these vehicles and yes, it is likely due to a faulty TIPM.

What exactly is your questions regarding this issue?

Have you heard why there is no recall if this is a common problem. Why don't the service people have an answer or is this a ploy to get more mone?

This is not a ploy to get more money. If it were, they would be shut down so fast.

The problem is a poor design by Chrysler. It is as simple as that.

Now, if they have checked and confirmed there is no recall for this condition, then it is up to the customer to pay for the repair. Unfortunately, it is part of owning this type of vehicle. Chrysler company decides if this should get repaired or fixed under warranty or recall. Recalls are only safety related. So if this does not affect your safety, they will not issue you a recall. If you feel otherwise, then I would recommend to bring it up with them and ask. Tell them you think this could affect your safety and you don't feel safe when driving the vehicle.

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Customer/p>