Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My a/c compressor would not come on. So I replaced the

Customer Question
compressor, and in the same...
My a/c compressor would not come on. So I replaced the compressor, and in the same time flushed the lines and the evaporator. After completing an entire system flush. I put everything back together and started to recharge the a/c on the low side. The compressor start to suck in frigerant for about 3 seconds then stops. The compressor is turning but I'm getting no suction. What is going on here and how can I fix it?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/26/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech replied 8 months ago
Ricardo Hohl
Ricardo Hohl, Master Certified Tech

Hi welcome to just answers my name is Ricardo. are you charging the system with the small cans of freon, or using a set of manifold gages with a 30 pound can ??

I am using gages with 12 oz. cans

ok are you putting the gas with the cans upside down or upside up, and how many ounces did you put?

I am chargeing on the low side, so someone told me on the low side. I should have the can up right for gas I'm not sure if thats correct or not. Well I started out by first pouring a little dye in the hose then started to charge. The compressor click on and the suction started then stop quickly
The compressor is turning but doesnt seem to have any suction pressure.

yes the low side should be with the can upside up this will only allow gas in to the compressor. Is the clutch engaging?

can you touch the low side hose see if is cold and the hi side see if is hot.

I will try that now, hold on

take your time.

No, the low side is not cold and the high side isnt hot. The compressor wasnt kickin on.
Im not getting any reading on the high side gages.

ok how many ounces of freon you put on?

I still at the beginning of my first can. Its not suck in any freon.

if the clutch on the compressor is not turning on is because you have not put enough freon on the system. you need to pull at least 15 minutes of vacuum with a vacuum pump.

do you have a vacuum pump?

you can rent a portable electric vacuum pump from napa auto parts store if you don't have one

or you will have to bypass the a/c relay to activate the compressor so the clutch can engage and create its own vacuum on the low side.

I pulled a vaccum for 45 minutes and let it sit for 30 minutes to check for leaks. The gauges didnt move from 30 below.

and even with vacuum on the system you still cant put freon?

lest try putting freon through the hi side with the can upside down close the low side on the manifold and open the hi side see if that gets freon in.

ok will try that , hold on

ok take your time.

nothing, no pressure, compressor not engaging
how can we bypass?

we will need to locate the a/c compressor relay remove it from the socket and put battery power on pin #87

i will be able to better help you tomorrow with wiring schematics and pictures if you like ?

ok

i have all data at my job and will be contacting tomorrow morning to continue .

have a good night.

Jerry, Master Mechanic