Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 18 year old wants a 2007 Dodge Charger V-6 for his first…

Customer Question
My 18 year old wants...
My 18 year old wants a 2007 Dodge Charger V-6 for his first car. It a private party sale for 3500.00. The car has 131000. I guess my question is, what are the average longevities of these Dodge v-6 engines and transmissions. What problems should I expect to have with these cars.?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/25/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 8 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Has the car been properly maintained?

Has the car had a pre-purchase inspection done on it to check the condition?

It is a used car. The Carfax Reports are basically all we have to go by. And those reports seems to indicate timely oil changes and routine scheduled maintenance. It was also a one owner car according to the CARFAX report. There was an occasional of a shift level lever being replaced is this a common occurrence with these cars

Yes there are known issue with failing shift levers and if that has been replaced then you should be okay on that issue. The 2.7 over all is a very good engine providing there are no timing chain noises with 130K . Its not uncommon for this engine to run well over the 250 K mark if its properly maintained . I think before you consider this purchase you should take the car into a trusted Auto shop and have them perform a top to bottom pre-purchase inspection to be sure there are no hidden issue. If its been maintained you should be okay at 131,000 miles providing the timing chain and transmission checks okay and a good inspection should tell you if both are sound.

Dodge Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago

Just checking in to see if your still needing help with this , if so please post back and we can work from there if need be. If not then please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Dear Sir:
It's the 3.5 Liter V-6. I did like you said with the mechanic. He says the car is "pretty solid" But as with all used cars they can be fine today and sick tomorrow. He like you also said that those charger engines are really "solid" and that he's seen them well over 200k miles still going strong.

I would agree with him on both statement and if driven properly you should be fine to make this purchase if he has had a look at it and gave it a good bill of health. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician