Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Lift pump & fuel pump run all the time even with key off the…

Customer Question
Lift pump &...

Lift pump & fuel pump run all the time even with key off the truck will run if you start with starting fluid 2001 dodge 2500 diesel

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

It was changed 3 years ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am trying to fix it my self I checked fuel relay fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Prpblem

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 11 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Has anything after market been installed at all before this issue started?

Let me know,thanks Pete

I have only had the truck 3 years do not know before that.
Dodge Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 10 months ago

I apologize for the delay.

O.k.,do you have a remote with your key that has a remote start button on it at all or does the remote have a brand name on it maybe on the back?

Let me know,thanks Pete

No remote of any kind. this is a 2001 Dodge diesel 2500.

O.k.,in your junction block fuse panel locate fuse 9 ( 10 amp ) and see if it has power on it at all times with the key off.If it does then this sounds to be a fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.The electronic ignition switch sends voltage to this fuse to power the fuel pump relay.The ignition switch also sends power to other components like the engine computer and ignition components so if the switch is shorted out internally it can cause this fault here with it needing replaced.If there is no power on this fuse with the key off let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

There is power on it when the key is off or not in ignition.
Why are not answering my question. I sent a reply but I have not heard from you.

I apologize for the delay as I was offline the last couple times you replied.

With it having power on this fuse at all times even with the key off this indicates the electronic ignition switch itself is at fault.It is shorted out internally sending voltage when it shouldnt.This fuse should not have power with the key off and since it does the switch needs to be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

We pull ingition switch and stll have power fuel pumpes
We pulled ingition switch and still have power to fuel pumps.
What nexted?

Inspect the ignition switch wiring and see if it is shorted to power anywhere.You may have to trace it to check this.If this is found o.k. let me know.

Thanks Pete