Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

New AC compressor not engaing. I got about 7 oz in it,

Customer Question
New AC compressor not...

New AC compressor not engaing

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the Freon level?

I got about 7 oz in it, factory charge is 11. However with the AC clutch not engaing I can not charge anymore.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '11 Dodge?

It's an 08 1500 4.7

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Had to replace the compressor and discharge line had a leak,so I replaced it also. Pulled a vacuume on system added oil to the system, then started to charge the system. I got about 7 oz of Freon in but the compressor clutch will not engage. Ohm out compressor coil had about 4.1 restance. Ran a couple of jumpers directly to compressor and it will engage that way....

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/25/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 7 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose).

• Although I work here everyday, please understand it is not all day and rarely morning time.
  • To get the most from me and the best experience, please give me the best details you can.
  • The website will offer you a phone call option for more $$. Some I do fulfill and some I do not.
  • Thanks, let's get started. If I upload dropbox links, without the app use the box in the top right for direct download.

Will the clutch engage if you electrically force it to or do you need help doing that?

I wired it directly to a battery and it engaged.
Will there be a response?

Once it engaged and ran were you able to suck in the remaining amount of freon needed?

It sucked in about seven ounces then started squealing really bad. I figured it would be enough for the low pressure switch to allow the compressor to come on without hotwiring directly to battery, but the clutch still would not engage, once the hot wire was off. Also when I hot wired compressor, the Condenser fan would not run.
The high side reached about 320 psi when it started squealing, I think it's because the condenser fan would not run, with the compressor being hot wired. Once I took the Hot wire off and tried to run the system the condenser fan came on but not the compressor. So I know the compressor and condenser fan are fine.

Thanks, ***** ***** a 1500 Dodge truck or van?

Do you have auto or manual climate control?

Truck and manual

Truck running AC on back probe the ac pressure transducer connector to touch the wire pins without disconnecting the sensor pr piercing the insulation. Is black/blue ground, is blue/orange 5 volts, what is the voltage on blue/brown?

Will check when I get home this evening.

Super

Hello Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Jerry, Master Mechanic