Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Having 4x4 engament issues, over a certain speed in 2wd

Customer Question
Having 4x4 engament...

Having 4x4 engament issues, over a certain speed in 2wd there is huge clonking noises but after i put the t case into 4wd it stops but it happens when i back up and turn

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Dodge?

2001 dodge ram 3500 5.9L cummins

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it my self. havnt done anything yet. it started shortly after i replaced my vp 44

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Wtf does that have to do with anything. yes the headlights turn on, yes the battery is fully charged. im an aircraft mechanic and i know that doesnt have anything to do with it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dodge
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/24/2017
Dodge Mechanic: sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech replied 7 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could be causing the noise and it will require some in person diagnostics to determine where it is coming from. It could be in the transfer case, front driveshaft, front differential, or it could be an issue with the disconnect actuator.

Can you tell what area the noise comes from?

when it makes the clonking noise, i can feel it in the transfer case shiftier, and then i switch to 4H and the noise will stop, until i back up and turn, then after awhile (like it can be days) it will clonk while going forward, then i will shift back into 2H. and then the whole process will repeat. when the transfer case is in 4H, I will not have 4wd, and when im in 4L i still dont have 4wd, and if im stuck and the t case is in 4H or 4L and tires spin then it will clonk and grind.
I was also told that my front driveshaft spins while the truck is in 2H, i have not personally seen for my self

It sounds like the vacuum lines to the disconnect actuator may be reversed? If they were reversed then the actuator would lock in two wheel drive and unlock in four wheel drive.

except for the 4wd was working last winter and i havnt done anything with the vacuum lines.? this started happening several weeks after i did a vp44 replacement.

Have you checked all vacuum lines for damage?

to the best of my knowledge. the vacum pump is directly below the VP44 correct? do you have a vacum line diagram that you can send me, so i can go out to the truck and check every one?

The vacuum pump is mounted to the timing gear case under the injector pump. Follow the line from the vacuum pump to the firewall and across it, down to the transfer case, and from the transfer case to the disconnect actuator. You may have damage the line in the engine compartment when the pump was replaced.

okay, i will go check, and i will get back to you. thank you very very very much for taking time to help me, i really appreciate this! its kinda embarrassing when the truck is making these noises, especially when there are beautiful woman watching, puts a dampener on my game

Not a problem. Let me know what you find!

i went out and took a look, as far as i can tell all of the lines look okay. i know my vacuum pump works because i have cruise control

Do you have a vacuum gauge?

that would be a negative

Can you check on the disconnect actuator which line has vacuum with the shifter in two wheel drive?

can you walk me through the process? im a little confused
oh i think i get what you are saying, while the engine is running and the t case is in 2wd, pop off the vauum lines on the disconnect on the axle, and feel which one has vacuum on it?

Correct.

i will go out and see, ill be back in a couple minutes

Ok.

the red line (passenger side, the one on the right side of the vehicle when facing forward)
i noticed while i was down underneath i could rotate the disconnect actuator about 20 - 30 degrees of play, is that normal?
vacuum shift motor has play

The actuator can move a little bit.

Does vacuum there seem as strong as at the engine?

the vacuum was pretty strong

It sounds as if the problem is intermittent though so you may not have an issue at this time. I believe the noise you're hearing is coming from the disconnect actuator moving when not intended. I believe the vacuum switch on the transfer case may be causing it to engage and disengage at incorrect times.

when i reverse straight, is doesnt make any noise, when i reverse and turn is makes the noise only in 4wd. 2wd backing up it doesnt do it at all. but as said before going forward it just depends. and the 4wd doesnt work at all. so what should i do? replace the vacuum switch on the transfer case? i kinda need my truck, it is a 20mi trip to town, and winter is coming real soon I live in a village in AK so i will need 4wd.

Are you able to upload a recording?

i believe i can. what would you like recorded?

I'd like to hear the noise if possible.

It's after 12 AM here and I will need to be getting offline for the night soon. If you reply while I am offline I will respond in the morning.

sounds good man. ill try and get the noise recorded tonight and upload it. ill just look for a response in the morning. thanks again for your time, it is very appreciated! i am very pleased with your effort to help me out. talk to you tomarrow, God Bless

Sounds great!

i will have to upload the video tomarrow (its 9:50pm here) hopfully i can get it to make the noises in 2wd on the way into town
Not a problem.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08