Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 4wd indicator is not working

Customer Question
My 4wd indicator is not working
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 9 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Have you checked all fuses and for power at the 4x4 selector switch?

I believe so what exactly which fuses should I be checking?

You need to check fuses 9 and 11 in the Junction Block (Fuse box at driver edge of instrument panel)

and fuse "A" in the power distribution center next to the battery. Check these fuses and post back the results...

Thank you,

Robert

Fuses seem to be all good. I have a multi meter handy but I am unsure how to use it reall to test if I am getting power back to the switch

Before you test for power at the switch, use your multimeter to test for power at the fuses. Connect the black lead to a good chassis ground and turn on the key. Touch the red lead to the terminals at each fuse. There should be battery voltage at each terminal of each fuse while plugged in... post back the results...

Thank you,

Robert

I'm referring to each fuse outlined above. post the results..

I checked each one seems to be getting voltage only one I am uncertain of is fuse "a" there are a lot of a in the one by the battery but none solely just a but none seemed to be blown

I think that fuse "A" may be a cartridge type fuse. Just make sure they are all good. Next you are checking for power at the 4wd indicator switch pin 7 and check for ground at pin 11... --->> Click Here to view <<---

Post back the results..

Thank you,

Robert

Ok so I have the red probe in number 7 and black in number 11 I tried with the key on and my multimeter setting on hz with a squiggly line over v, a straight line and dash line over v , and the ohm sign with .))) kinda deal and got no reading on any of the three

The way to test for power is put your Multi-meter on Volts. Hook the black lead to the battery negative terminal. Probe cavity 7 with the red lead. You should have battery voltage present at that pin.

To test for ground at pin 11, hook the RED meter lead to the battery positive lead. Hook the negative lead to the pin in cavity 11. You should also read battery voltage when running this test.

Post back the results..

Thank you,

Robert

Both read about 0.032

That is not a good reading. By chance, do you have access to a "test light" instead of a Multi-meter?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Looking for a test light tomorrow will get back to you in the evening
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 8 months ago

Ok.

I pushed the test light in and nothing happened what next?

Can you explain exactly how you ran the test and I'll let you know if you performed the tests correctly?...

Thank you,

Robert

Just pushed the probe into 7 and 11 but idk where yo put other probe it doesn't reach ground on my battery

The lead attached to the test light does not need to be hooked directly to the battery for testing the cavity 7. Just connect it to a good chassis ground (bare metal part of body). To test the ground wire, use the OHM meter and hook the black lead to chassis ground and the red lead to cavity 11. Let me know if the test light illuminates on the first test and let me know the reading on the ohm meter...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok I put the red probe in the 7 last night and the other one on the metal and there was no light

Ok then you need to find out why. Let me research this a bit and I'll get back with you asap...

Can you post the last 8 digits of the VIN so that I can do some research on this concern for you?

Thank you,

Robert

I am at work right now I can when I get home but it is a dodge Dakota sport 2002 pretty sure has the 318 motor in it

The VIN will help me get "VIN Specific" wiring diagrams. If you can post the VIN it will definitely help...

In you original post you said it was a 4.7. a 318 is actually 5.2l. The VIN will get me the correct info...

Take your time...

Thank you,

Robert

Ok I'll send it over to you when I get home

Sounds good...

Thank you,

Robert

1b7gg36n42s584411
1b7gg36n42s584411 that's the vin number
1b7gg36n42s584411 that's the vin number b
1b7gg36n42s584411 that's the vin number.
1b7gg36n42s584411 is the vin number
Sorry it wasn't telling me it sent I didn't. Ran to send it so many times haha

Ok if you did not have power at pin 7 of the transfer case selector switch it means that either you have a faulty Junction Block (Fuse Box at driver edge of instrument panel) or the power feed wire at cavity 7 has an open circuit somewhere. You will need to test using your Multi-meter on OHMS and check this wire (Circuit F12 Dark Blue/White wire) between the transfer case selector switch connector pin 7 and the Junction Block Connector C10 Pin 10.

The Transfer Case Selector Switch Pinout is above in one of my links. Give me a few to post the Pinout for Junction Block C10 connector.

Thank you,

Robert

Here is the Pin Chart for Junction Block C10. Make sure you have the correct connector. Disconnect the C10 connector and the Selector Switch Connector. Put meter on ohms, hook one lead to cavity 7 of Transfer Case Switch connector and other lead on Junction Block C10 connector cavity 10 and read the meter. Post back the results...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

There is no diagram attached to connect c10

Sorry about that, here is the connector chart for you...

--->> Click Here to view <<---

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert