Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2000 Dodge B3500 van; while driving engine will shut off and…

Customer Question
2000 Dodge B3500 van...

2000 Dodge B3500 van; while driving engine will shut off and after 10-15 seconds no-bus code comes up on odometer. After 60-90 seconds it will start back up and run normally for a while. I haven't noticed any warning signs, it just shuts down. It has done this once while in park but all other times when rolling.

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Headlights work; voltmeter on dash reads just under 14 with ignition on but motor not running. When i start it up the meter reads just on the high side of 14.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'd like to fix it myself but I haven't tried anything yet. Was going to run by the parts store to try to see if the computer has stored any fault codes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Relatively low mileage for its age, 85,350.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Dodge
9/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Master replied 10 months ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Master

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 30+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

The most common cause for this concern is a FAILING PCM. The NO BUS code is a clue. The way to find out for sure is to use a scan tool to retrieve codes. Most likely there will be no codes. The clue that the PCM is bad is that the "Starts Since Cleared" counter will be close to zero or a very low number. Basically the counter will display the number that the vehicle has been started since the last time this happened. If this condition happens and you have a chance to hook up a scan tool before you try to start it, the counter will be at "Zero". If this is the case you can safely assume that the PCM is failing and will need to be replaced...

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please don't hesitate to ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you!

A "One Star" or "Two Star" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

This site operates on the honor system, meaning I only get paid with a "3 Star" rating or better. Once you are satisfied with my service, please "Rate". Remember, you have already paid to use the site, all the rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and effort. Expert Payment comes out of the fee you have paid to use the service. Leaving no rating results in the WEBSITE retaining the payment and the Expert that helped you out receives no credit. Thanks in advance for a "5 Star" Rating.

Is this something I could do at home? I have completed several ground up restorations of vintage motorcycles so I'm fairly adept mechanically and this seems like a part swap.
Possibly, but not until I have the part in hand and ready to go.

Yes, PCM replacement is easy. The PCM is mounted on the firewall center area above the a/c compressor. If the vehicle is equipped with Immobilizer you will need to take the vehicle to the dealer so that they can program and configure the replacement PCM...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

I just wanted to check in with you to see if you need more help with your concern. A non rated question normally times out within 7 days, so I wanted to stay in contact with you to see if the problem has been solved.

If I have helped you resolve your concern and you have already rated my answer, I want to say "Thanks", and let you know you can still follow up on this concern if needed. Also, I want to let you know you can bookmark ->>> My Profile Page <<<- in case you have another automotive question in the future. Make sure to begin your question with "Robert R" so I will be able to easily find it

If we are still working on your concern, please post a reply so we can continue.

If you are happy with my answer and have not left a rating, please do so asap to complete the transaction. It is greatly appreciated as I recieve no compensation until you do so...

If you're not satisfied with my answer, BEFORE rating, please post a reply with a short explanation as to why. I may have a better explanation for you... It also helps me to refine my answers to help future customers more thoroughly and efficiently.