sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

Had to charge battery then started but will not idle. They

Had to charge battery then started but will not idle
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: They are not corroded
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2002 Ram 1500 4x4 quad
JA: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I live way out in the sticks and no I have only charged battery.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is it at the moment

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem may be deeper but if this started as a result of a dead battery it's most likely happening because of lost idle air control motor memory.

If no scan tool is available to reset memory then start the engine and raise RPM's to about 2,000. Very, very slowly release the throttle, slowly enough that it takes about a minute to return to idle and release the pedal. You may need to repeat this a couple times. This will usually be enough to let it relearn idle air control motor step count without a scan tool.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Awesome. Followed your suggestions and like magic problems solved! Many thanks to you.