Dodge

Dodge Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The headlights and tail lights…

Customer Question
I have 2002 Dodge...

I have 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. The headlights and tail lights flicker when driving. Sometimes when I start it up the windshield won't work either. I have replaced all bulbs, circuit boards, light control module, pcm, but it still happens. I don't think there are any fuses or relays that I can find.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?

Replaced all bulbs. The wires leading to to the headlights look fine. I replaced the bulbs in the tail lights and the circuit boards that they plug into and they appear to be fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Ram 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I have been trying to troubleshoot. I replaced the headlight and tail light switch, the multi function switch on the steering column, the main computer, the light control module, the bulbs are new, the housings for the lights are new, and the bulbs are new. It sounds like a short but I don't know how to trade it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think I have told you everything. I have look for fuses and relays but there does not appear to be any. Unless I am wrong it looks like the wires go straight to the light control module.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dodge
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2017
Dodge Mechanic: Amedee, Dodge Technician replied 8 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I am very sorry your having this issue with your vehicle.

I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

However, before we get started, please let me mention a few things.

1. If at any point you would like to speak on the phone, please feel free to request a phone call on your end and I can call you right away.

2. If you dont understand any technical terms or anything that I mention (component tests or theory or operation), please let me know and I will provide you with a more in debt explanation or answer.

3. Please understand that I am here to help.

Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

I would like to know what could be causing the problem
I can certainly list some possible causes. But to provide you with an exact answer, we will need to run some specific tests. Unless you will be simply happy with a list of possible causes..
Based on what I have already told you about what has been replaced in the system involved I can't imagine the list of causes would be that long. I do prefer to do this by written method. I like to be able to have a record of what has been said and what steps to follow.

Good morning!

Have you checked the alternator and or charging system?

May I start by getting your engine size and or VIN please?

Thank you!

I have no trouble with any other systems. Engine runs smooth all of the time and I have no other lighting issues.
Interior lighting and instrument cluster works fine. My assumption based on this is that the alternator and battery should be ok. Am I wrong?

It is possible the alternator is overcharging.

It is also possible the diode inside the alternator is faulty affecting the lights.

3.6 liter. 6 cylinder
Vin : 1D7HA16K22J235744

Thank you for the VIN. Now I can pull a wiring diagram of this circuit.

The front control module/integrated power distribution module was replaced?

Ok. I will check it today. May I get back to you later today
I did remove the cluster a couple of years ago to replace the heater core. I have had no problems with it.

I understand.

However, what I am saying is that it is part of the headlight and parking light circuit.. which means it can affect the headlights and or parking lights. even if it appears to be functioning normally.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician